Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify freezing on latest release? Report it here.

Solved!

Spotify freezing on latest release? Report it here.

Hey everyone,

As we're rolling out a new release of Spotify for desktops - v0.8.4 - we're keen to stay on top of any bugs that may have crept in while we weren't looking. We hate bugs.

So if you're having problems please use the following template to report them in this thread. This will help our top tech boffins investigate the issue. And then we'll be able to whip out the bugspray.

Don't forget to try a reinstall first! So make sure you're on 0.8.4 before reporting this to us (check under Spotify > About Spotify)

=== START OF TEMPLATE ===

Description

When and where the crashing or freezing occurs

OSX Version

eg. Macbook Pro running OS X 10.5.8

Did a reinstall help?

Yes/No

Has anything else helped at all?

eg. turning off gapless playback made it crash less often, etc.

NB: Attach screenshots if possible and you're getting any messages/pop-ups.

=== END OF TEMPLATE ===

Thanks for helping us make Spotify the best it can be.

Update: We pushed a fix to the most recent version of Spotify. So please try redownloading from www.spotify.com/download before reporting any issues.

Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

New to the Community? Check out our Community newbie tips

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I'm turning off local files to see if that helps.  Will return with an update.

UPDATE:

Over an hour later, so far so good.  Will report back tomorrow.

UPDATE #2:

Went all night without any issues after disabling local files.

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Uncheck these boxes.

spotify_screen.png

Marked as solution

Hey all, as tagg said above, we've just pushed a new installer live which should fix this crashing issue.

Simply download Spotify again from the download page and everything should be better. 

Let us know how you get on!

Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

New to the Community? Check out our Community newbie tips

Marked as solution

Just installed the new 0.8.4.93. Seems like the local file playback issue is resolved.

Never had the problem with streamed songs and with brief testing it seems I can

play consecutive local files without freezing.

Marked as solution

This works for me:

Go to library/application support/SIMBL and delete the plugin-folder. Now login works every time!

Macbook pro running osx 10.8.2

Marked as solution

SUCCESSFUL SOLUTION:

I went through the re-install routine again, as per Spotify web advice.

First time I could not find the two folders in Cache and Application Support to delete. Turns out I was looking in HDD rather than my home account. Found them this time and deleted them. Put Spotify app in Trash, reinstalled from .dmg...

Now enjoying Spotify again.

🙂

250 Replies

Description

At the end of songs, Spotify stops and shows no more reaction. It crashed. Happens normally within the first 10 songs played after starting. Playlists, albums, it doesn't matter. 

OSX Version

iMac, running OS X Lion 10.7.4

Did a reinstall help?

Nope

Not so far, but I have to admit that I don't want to turn off any of these features. I want to use them. That's why they are there.

NB: I'm too stupid to make screenshots. Sorry.

Description

Crashes as soon as I click on 'Top Lists' or in the search bar.

OSX Version

Macbook 10.6.8

Did a reinstall help?

No

Nothing helped at all that was suggested and I didn't want to mess about with drivers etc..

The only pop up after is the crash report box when I restart the Spotify app.

Description

Same bug as above, on spotify version 0.8.4. Spotify hangs and becomes totally unresponsive after playing a track to the end. Might be when it tries to go to the next track in the playlist. I tried switching off "gapless playback" but it didn't help.

OSX Version

Macbook Pro (2009) On Lion - 10.7.4

Did a reinstall help?

Yes, it actually seems to have helped. I deleted the cache and application help folders as instructed. Seems to be working fine now.

Description

It freezes after playing a few songs (number varies but so far, the maximum has been ten songs)
Started after latest Spotify update

OSX Version

Macbook OS X 10.7.4

Did a reinstall help?

Yes, it did. It's working fine now, thanks

When and where the crashing or freezing occurs
Just before the end of a song, the music will stop and everything will freeze. After about 10 seconds I get the colour wheel spinner which continues until I force quit. Sometimes I get 30 minutes, sometimes I get 3.

OSX Version

MacBook Pro running OS X 10.7.4

Did a reinstall help?
No

Tried turning off gapless playback and crossfade to no affect. Seems to happen a lot less often when I'm running in offline mode.

Description

Keeps on crashing after a couple of songs. Started somewere this week.

OSX Version

iMac running OS X 10.7.4

Did a reinstall help?

No

Nothing helped. Tried the reinstall a couple of times but nothing changed.

Description

Spotify freezes after playing a song to the end (or before/when starting the next one?)

OSX Version

Macbook Pro 5,1 running OS X 10.7.4

Did a reinstall help?

Didn't try.

Didn't try anything too exotic; I have better things to do with my time. I'm a new member and you guys didn't make a very good first impression with that app. (Also not with the way Squeezebox integration works, by the way)

I just want to listen to music, and I want something that Just Works (TM).

Addendum:

It seems to work fine now (for the last fifteen minutes or so; both radio and one of my local playlists). I did move the cache off the main harddrive (an OCZ Vertex 2 SSD) and onto a second harddrive I've put into the MBP (in place of the SuperDrive) yesterday night in order to save space on the main disk, but hadn't played any music since then.

False alarm. It just froze again.

Oops it just did it again. It worked just fine all day yesterday though.

After starting Spotify up again, the player was stuck right where the app crashed, pressed play and the song continued where it had stopped.

Same problems as above.

Stops responding at the end of a song, whether the gapless/crossfade are on or not.

No rhyme or reason as to when it will happen, but it started after the last update. It is more likely to stop responding if I am clicking in the ap (like looking at an album page), but can stop for any reason at any time.

I am running 10.6.8.

No screenshot is necessary as there is no error message. Just the mac spinwheel. Have to force quit the program and start again.

Description

Same as above, it gets to the end of a song and goes unresposive. 

OSX Version

Macbook running OS X 10.6.8

Did a reinstall help?

No

Nothing seems to help.  I tried a reinstall, gapless playback, different playlists.  It still freezes after 1 song.   

Description

Gets to the end of a song in a playlist and then freezes. Resumes in the middle of the song after force quit and queue vanishes. Repeats after a song or two.

OSX Version

Macbook running OS X 10.7.4

Did a reinstall help?

No

It doesn't freeze as often if you are not listening to an already created playlist but it will happen eventually. I have also  uninstalled flash per Spotify Support but no resolve.

Description

After a few songs play usually, there seems to be no pattern to when it crashes although a few times it's been close to Time Machine starting.

OSX Version

MacBook Air running Mac OS X 10.7.4

Did a reinstall help?

No

Tried turning off gapless playback but it didn't seem to help, I can't think of anything else to try but if there any suggestions I'll try them and let you know.

Description

Just before the end of random track's Spotify freezes and becomes unresposive and I have to force quit.

OSX Version

MacBook Air running OS X 10.6.8

Did a reinstall help?

No

I'd like to be able to go back to the previous version of the app untill this problem is fixed. How do I do that?

http://about.me/chris.page

Description

After listening to music for about 30+ minutes (sometimes less)

OSX Version

Macbook Pro running OS X 10.6.8

Did a reinstall help?

For a little while. Then it happened again after an hour or two

Not that I could find, no.

Description

if i'm in online mode, i can usually play a couple of songs with spotify running in the background before it freezes and i have to force quit the program and restart it again. if i'm in offline mode or in the spotify app, i doesn't freeze.  i also keep getting a notification at the top that spotify can't connect to spotify social, even though i've unselected this option because i don't have facebook. all of this is really annoying.

OSX Version

MacBook running OS X 10.6.8

Did a reinstall help?

no........

i haven't tried anything else.

Description

At the end of every two or three songs, the app crashes.

OSX Version

Mid-2009 iMac running Max OS X 10.7.4

Did a reinstall help?

No

While NOT playing in shuffle mode, through small playlists (like an album) the crash doesn't happen. It usually happens while I'm shuffling through my kinda big "sync" playlist.

Pretty much the same issue as previous posts.

Description

After playing a few songs (about 3 or 4), Spotify always freezes (can't do anything, spinning coloured wheel, can only force quit). Problems started since updating to the latest version.

OSX Version

Macbook OS X 10.6.8

Did a reinstall help?

Nope, tried it twice.

Nope, tried all the suggestions I could find such as switching of gapless playback but nothing has helped so far.

Suggested posts