Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How to disable autoplay after album ends?

How to disable autoplay after album ends?

Whenever I click play on an album, after the last song, Spotify just moves on to something similar instead of ending play. I want it to stop at the end of the album. I'm not seeing any way to stop this other than adding the album to its own playlist, then deleting the playlist. This is getting annoying.

The only instructions I've found online say to click the down-arrow next to my profile name at the top right of the page, then Settings, but there's no Settings to click there...

https://support.spotify.com/us/article/autoplay/

"Desktop
Click Down arrow icon in the top-right and select Settings.
Scroll down to Autoplay and switch on Toggle on iconor off Toggle off icon."

turquoxic_0-1646236361877.png

Now what? Why doesn't the interface match the instructions?

Plan: Premium

Device: Windows or Mac

Browser: Chrome or Firefox

11 Replies

Hi @turquoxic,

Thanks for posting in the Spotify Community!

From your screenshot, it looks like you’re using the web player. It’s currently an expected behavior that you can’t access the settings menu to turn off Autoplay from the web player (and note that the support article you mention only has instructions for mobile/tablet and the desktop app). 

You should be able to stop Autoplay at the end of albums that you listen to on the web player by toggling this setting to "off" on the desktop app (and if you haven't installed the desktop app yet, you can read about how to do so in this FAQ article). You can go to Settings > Autoplay on the desktop app, and there you'll see the setting Autoplay Similar Songs when your music ends on other devices. When you switch this to off (grey instead of green), Autoplay will stop on the web player, as well as on other smart speakers and third party devices which support this option.

There’s also currently a Closed Idea for being able to control Autoplay via a setting on the web player itself. While the status of this idea is currently “Closed - Not Enough Votes,” it is still being monitored by Spotify and can become an active idea again if it gains sufficient votes.

If this idea is something you're interested in, I would recommend adding your +VOTE to it. The more votes an idea gets, the likelier it is that Spotify will implement it; and you can read more about how feedback on ideas reaches Spotify here. It will also be useful for you to Subscribe to the idea by clicking the three dots next to its title; that way, you can be sure to be informed of any relevant updates.

Let me know if you have any other questions, and have a good day!

AdamDamSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Hi there!

I´m using the desktop app, and have both Autoplay options set to OFF. Despite this, I can´t get Spotify to stop once an album ends.

Hi @NachoT,

Thanks for posting in the Spotify Community, and welcome!

I first suggest trying logging out and then logging back in to your Spotify account on your computer, as this will trigger a sync between your account and your device. 

If this doesn’t resolve the issue, I would recommend trying a clean reinstall of the desktop app by following these steps. This is more thorough than a normal reinstall, and can be helpful to get rid of any cached files that might be causing trouble. 

Also, can you let me know when this issue started happening—after an update, or has it always been like this?

I look forward to your reply, and let me know if you have any other questions.

Have a good day!

AdamDamSpotify Star

Hello, I am reading this thread several months after it was posted and it seems this is still an issue.  I am on Spotify web player at work (where I CANNOT install the desktop app because I do not have admin privileges on my work computer, like most people with most work computers, and I am not about to ask IT to install Spotify desktop app, that is a waste of my and their time).  What I would really like is for the web player itself to have the button "AUTOPLAY OFF."  I clicked on the linked "Closed Idea" that seems to not only be closed, but entirely gone (unless I am misunderstanding how this link works).  Is there a current "idea" that I can vote on to the effect of "please add this very basic and no-brainer feature to the web player"?

I don't really understand why this has to be such a difficult, labyrinthine process to ask that a very, very basic toggle switch be implemented.  I want to listen to the music I want to listen to, and then stop listening.  Not other randomly selected **bleep**.

Hi @codys256,

Unfortunately, the link to the idea about being able to control Autoplay via a setting on the web player itself is not available at the moment; however, as soon as the Idea Exchange reopens for new submissions again, you’ll be able to post this as a new idea there. You can read about what to know before submitting an idea to the Idea Exchange in this FAQ article; and this related FAQ article has more info about how to submit your idea.

In the meantime, if you’re able to log in on a mobile device with the Spotify app, I would recommend going to Settings > Playback > Autoplay and toggling “off” (gray instead of green) the option for On other devices. This will prevent Autoplay on any other device (including the web player) for which you’re logged in with your same Spotify account. 

Alternatively, you could also try logging in to Spotify from a different desktop device, such as a friend or a family member's PC if possible. Going to Settings > Autoplay there, and toggling “off” (gray instead of green) the option for Autoplay similar songs when your music ends on other devices, will also prevent Autoplay when you’re listening on any other device (including the web player).

Let me know if you have any other questions, and have a good day!

AdamDamSpotify Star

You should ask IT to install Spotify.  That's bad that you think you don't deserve it.

There are a large number of reasons I can't download and install the Spotify app; I can't think of any decent reason to limit user access with the webplayer.

I have the desktop app installed on Windows 10 and there is no option to control auto play in the settings. I don't want to hear some randomly selected %$#@ when an album ends. This should not be difficult but it seems Spotify is going out of their way to make this a forced feature.

Hi @blackcoyote0136,

Can you share a screenshot of your Settings? You can include it in your next reply by using the “Insert Photos” option in the post editor.

Also, can you let me know the version of the Spotify app that you’re running?

I look forward to your reply, and let me know if you have any other questions.

Have a good day!

AdamDamSpotify Star

Hey @blackcoyote0136 

It sounds like you might be using a Chrome PWA (Web App) for Spotify.

The Spotify PWA Web App uses the Web Player found at https://open.spotify.com

While the Web Player has most of the same features, it does not have every feature.

To be able to turn autoplay on or off and use all of the features, you will need to download the full Spotify desktop app here:

https://www.spotify.com/download/

You can also use the mobile app to change the "autoplay" setting. Once it is changed in either the mobile app or desktop app, your account will update so that no matter where you play your music including the Web Player, it will either autoplay or not depending on the setting.

You can learn more about Progressive Web Apps in Chrome here:

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/9658361

MattSudaSpotify Star

I have autoplay turned off, yet it keeps adding music to the queue and keeps playing music when the album I chose to play has ended.  I've tried restarting but it just keeps playing and adding music to spite the "Autoplay" button. The "clear queue" button doesn't exist because I'm not the one adding items to the queue. WTH. Fix**bleep**.

Suggested posts