Country

Netherlands

Device

Desktop pc

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

Hi! 

I have my Spotify client set to open minimized, but it's not doing that. It does open after Windows starts, but it's opening in a floating window rather than minimized to the taskbar or tray.

Spotify_lduQtmmGHt.png

How can I make it so that the client opens minimized?

Thanks!

11 Replies

Hey @user-removed, 

Help’s here!

Could you confirm if you still observe this after running a clean reinstall of Spotify on your PC? This will get you the latest app version and clean up corrupted files that could be causing the issue. 

If you see no difference after the clean reinstall, check the hosts file for entries that need to be deleted. Follow the steps described here on how you can do that. 

Let us know how you get on! We'll be here in case you need any further help with this.  

Hey Ivan, thanks for the reply!

I've done a clean reinstall including all temporary data, registry files, etc. but that didn't solve the issue.

May I ask how editing the hosts file would allow the setting to work? I assumed it was just a local setting rather than one that requires internet? I don't use in-browser client, personally.

Hey @user-removed,

Thanks for the reply.

On some machines the host file entries cause several issues , so it's always good to check that initially.

We'd recommend you try and download the Spotify app from our website if you're using the one from the MS store and vice versa.

Let us know if that makes a difference.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I've checked my hosts file and it all seems to check out.

I use the generic client downloaded from the website. I'd try the store app but store apps generally don't work on my pc, unfortunately. 

Hey @user-removed, 

Thanks for getting back to us. 

Just to confirm, have you already tried how it goes after downloading the Spotify app from the Microsoft app store?

You can get the app here

Keep us posted. 

Yes, I've tried that, but the same issue persists 😞

Hey @user-removed,

Thanks for getting back to us.

Could you check if toggling the option Enable hardware acceleration in the advanced setting menu makes a difference in this behavior? Also, we recommend to make sure that there are no pending Windows updates for your device and that the Spotify app is authorized to run without any restrictions.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted. 

Mihail Moderator

Hi!

Sadly, turning hardware acceleration on or off makes no difference. My Windows is fully up to date and permissions should check out.

Hey @user-removed,

Thanks for the reply.

Can you try to minimize the app and then restart your PC. Let us know if it starts minimized after that. 

Microsoft released this change which affects some apps and windows remembers the window size, before shutting down and disregards in app settings.

We'll be on the lookout for your reply.

AlexModerator

Thanks for the suggestion! Unfortunately I always shut down my pc when spotify's minimized to either the taskbar or system tray, but it still opens on top of everything after I boot my pc.

Hey @user-removed,

Thanks for the reply.

Since we can only troubleshoot remotely, we can offer suggestions which other users have reported as fixes.

Another thing you can try is a different account, like a free test account. This will help us determine if the issue is related to your account or the PC itself.

Let us know how this goies.

AlexModerator

Suggested posts