Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Playlist Details Not Saving

Solved!

Playlist Details Not Saving

I've seen other threads from people with similar problems, but they've all been closed due to inactivity. I'd like to bring this problem back up because it's getting rather annoying.

Whenever I modify one of my existing playlists, by changing its title or description, it doesn't save correctly or something. The changes will stay around as long as I have the desktop app open, but if I close the app and reopen it, all the changes revert back to their original values.

For example, I made a playlist with a description of "[Incomplete]" when I was working on it. A few days later, I completed my playlist so I changed the description to "Open for suggestions of songs to add". I closed spotify, reopened it, and the description was back to "[Incomplete]" like it didn't save at all. This same thing happens with the title of playlists.

Am I doing something wrong or is this a legitimate bug?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Wait, it just worked. I opened it up this morning and the description was fixed. It just took overnight to save for some reason.

View solution in original post

39 Replies
Marked as solution

Wait, it just worked. I opened it up this morning and the description was fixed. It just took overnight to save for some reason.

**bleep** the same thing happened to me. Can y'all fix this please. Why.

My playlist description isn't saving either

Hey @seraphineee,

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community. 

Would you mind waiting between 24 and 72 hours while logging out and then back in to your account to see if your playlist description updates successfully? Suggesting this since similar issues are very often solved by letting the Spotify account sync with the desired changes or by forcing it to do so. 

Let us know how you get on. We'll look out for your reply and be here to keep helping with this as well to help with anything else!

Mario Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

The problem is, this shouldn't have to be the case. In my opinion, to be worth my time and money, spotify should be able to complete a simple task like saving playlist details and remembering them. This happens to me all the time. But I don't have to even close and reopen the app for the description or title to switch to what it was before seconds after I just edited it and clicked Save. This is super super frustrating and as someone who loves music, listens all the time, and spends a lot of time discovering music and creating playlists that have specific aesthetics is REALLY frustrating. It feels like nothing I ever change will stay that way, and if I come back the enxt day and it's still not caught up with all my changes, then I don't want to bother creating playlists or using Spotify for my music. Not only do the descriptions and titles not save, but also the cover pictures don't save. Often I'll save a change, click on another playlist, then go back and the correct picture (or title and description) will be there for a millisecond before it changes back to one of my previous versions. I definitely was fiddling a lot with my playlists and switching around their titles and pictures and descriptions a ton recently and it would be seem acceptable to me if there was a bit of lag. But not saving properly after I've worked hard to make a playlist perfect is not acceptable to me. Why can spotify never get these trivial functions right?? I have another complaint. I use spotify on my computer but I also have the app on my phone, logged into the same account. Often changes that I make to my playlists or songs that I add to my "Liked Songs" get added to one app on my computer or my phone but not on the other or if I delete a song on one device, it doesn't delete on the other..... it's very frustrating. I think a huge streaming service like spotify should be able to handle these simple things without difficulty. It really really decreases my satisfaction and my willingness to use this application. So yes, waiting 24 to 72 hours and giving time to sync is an option, but not using spotify at all is also an option. To have to wait that long for a simple description change is ridiculous to me and says a lot about the quality of spotify...! Please please fix this because spotify has been my music app for years and I'm very accostumed to it. I would rather not have to find another app to use, but these problems make me consider doing that..

Same issue here, happens every time I try to change list descriptions - they save for a few seconds then flick back again to the previous saved description - it's very frustrating.

Fix it, Spotify! I’m not waiting 72 hours for you to function on a basic level. ALSO- stop rejecting requests because they don’t have your arbitrary 100 upvotes. Just listen to what we want. Because we’re literally paying you. I’ll switch to Tidal (again!) 

I've had the same problem for at least two weeks now. I will edit a description in a playlist and it will appear saved at first but when I check it less than a few minutes later it will have reverted back. 

I've had the problem on multiple platforms ie: Windowns Desktop, Mac Desktop, & iOS. This is very frustrating.

Hey everyone,

Thanks for reaching out to us. We're sorry to hear you feel this way and we'd love to help you out.

We can see you've tried different troubleshooting steps. We can't recreate the issue from our end and we'd like to add a few more steps.

We'd suggest to restart the devices and log out and log back in to the account. You can also give these steps a go and run a clean reinstall on all your devices. That way you can make sure the cache is not leading to this issue.

If that doesn't do the trick, you can try logging into another account. By doing that we can see if it's an account-related issue. Does the issue persist? 

@natkatef The troubleshooting steps mentioned above could also help sync up the songs.

Let us know how it goes. If you have questions, we are here for you.

Ver Moderator

As of now September 2020 this problem, that an update to an already existing playlist description will simply not save and be deleted for the old version albeit one has saved the changes, still occurs practically always and sometimes even new descriptions are also deleted. This is an exceedingly annoying problem and should truly be resolved as it requires nothing but a simple coding line. 

Hey there @chucky97,

Welcome to the Community!

Could you try to update the description of a playlist and then download that playlist. This should force the new information to sync. See if the description is then updated across all your devices.

We'll be on the lookout for your reply. Don't hesitate to reach out again if you have more questions.

AlexModerator

I did that and it worked! Thanks for the help

Hi @chucky97,

Thanks for getting back to us. 

Glad to hear that it worked out 🙂

Don't hesitate to reach out again if you have more questions.

Cheers.

AlexModerator

honestly a fantastic review in response to @natkatef and I totally agree, this stuff is always happening and this shouldn't have to be an issue at this point, especially for how long spotify has been a mainstream streaming service. Another thing to add is playing a song preview by holding it down in iOS, that really makes it suck when trying to preview other songs without messing up a queue or playlist place. Oh and another thing! let us change our usernames!! it should not be acceptable that a simple username change cant happen, especially when we can change our display names (through facebook only though smh), and /especially/ on top of all the other things that are wrong or glitchy. this is really annoying especially for trans ppl who are trying to get rid of past usernames and stuff like that

Hey @geekgoddess,

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts with the Community!

We understand where you're coming from and will make sure all your feedback reaches the right teams. Keep in mind that the usernames are now automatically generated for security reasons. Note that you can also change your display name via the in-app settings using the steps here. You can add or change a display name that replaces the username where it shows on your profile, app, playlists, and Friend Activity.

We recommend that you also post your idea about the song preview on our Idea Exchange. The Idea Exchange is a great way for us to see what our users are interested in and how many people like a certain idea. You can read more about it here.

Hope this was helpful for you. If you have questions, you know where to find us.

Mihail Moderator

I have been having the same problem as well. When I went to change my playlist name I deleted it then changed it but when I quit the app and came back the name of the playlist is just blank. I’ve looked up solutions and have tried some but none have worked for me so far. Any help would be much appreciated thank you!

Hi there @asashane,

Thank you for your reply in this thread. We'd like to have a closer look into this.

Can you let us know what troubleshooting you've done so far? This will help us to not repeat something that you've already done.

If you haven't already, we suggest that you perform a clean reinstall of the app as this will make sure there's no old cache files causing this.

We'll keep an  eye out for your reply.

Take care!

JeremyModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Hey Jeremy,

Thanks for replying to my comment and to answer your question so far I have done a clean reinstall and I’ve tried deleting the app and re downloading it but nothing seems to work. Got any other ideas of what I should do?

Update

So after doing a through clean reinstall on my phone it actually worked. I can now change the title of my playlist. However when I tried another clean reinstall with my computer (thinking I was just missing a step) it still does not allow me to make changes and tells me, “ failed to make playlist changes” or something like that.

Suggested posts