Spotify Desktop App keeps crashing

Plan

Premium

Country

United Kingdom

Device

PC

Operating System

Latest version of Win10 (as of 13/05/2020)

My Question or Issue

The app will start up fine and everything works as it should. However, after a while, e.g 15 minutes, the app will just close itself. No error codes, no warning, it just closes. It will start back up fine and then the same thing will happen. I have uninstalled the app twice now and it is still happening.

29 Replies

Hey there @vqeav_-5wy148

Thanks for reaching out to us about this - we'll be glad to help you out here.

Most common issues can be fixed with a quick reinstall of the app. In some situations however, a clean (more thorough) reinstall of the app might be needed. This way you can start afresh with Spotify on your PC. 

Check out this help page in order to find the steps for clean reinstall on the affected device. 

If it doesn’t do the trick, we’ll provide you with further help. 

We'll look out for your reply. 

I had done that already but have done it again and the problem persists

i got the same problem ... 

Same problem, did the clean install still have the problem

I completely agree. 

This is still happening and has been for around a month at this point. 

reinstalled twice and still the same issue. 

Log out then back in does nothing.

This is not effected on my phone, only my windows 10 pc.

The song ends or stops then the app closes

I restart it

a few minutes later - (it varies when.)

problem repeats. 

Hey everyone,

Thanks for reaching out to us. 

The troubleshooting steps that you've tried so far are very good. We'd like to add a few more.

If you've any battery optimization or power saving apps, we'd suggest you deactivate them for Spotify. If that doesn't do the trick, it's a good idea to try running the app as an administrator.

You can also try reinstalling the app in a safe mode.

Keep us in the loop! If you have questions, we are here for you.

Ver Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Same thing happening here too. Just reset my computer, installed spotify from windows store, and it shut itself down after half a song. Happened before the reset too. 

Premium user here, please advise. 

Hey @joshua313,

Thanks for posting here 🙂

Could you try installing the app in safe mode to see if that makes a difference?

It's also a good idea to try with another account. Are there any changes?

Keep us in the loop. 

Ver Moderator

Yeah this still happens even switched devices i have tried everything above still doesn't work Also i can now confirm it is account based since i logged into 3 different accounts and none of them crashed 

Hi there @Double_Downz

Thanks for getting in touch about this. 

Could you let us know if the issue persists in case you log in to your account on a different PC?

Also, sending us the exact make/model, operating system and Spotify version of your device would come in handy.

Keep us in the loop.

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

hi the spotify version is 1.1.64.561.g71bd09eb-a the model is a Acer Nitro 5 15.6" 144Hz Ryzen 5 5600H RTX 3060 Laptop and the OS is windows 10 

Hey @Double_Downz,

Thanks for the reply.

Could you also try logging in with your account on another PC? This will be helpful, when we send this over for investigation to the teams at Spotify 🙂

Cheers.

AlexModerator

what the **bleep** i just wanted to play some spotify today cause they have it at work. works fine at my work. then i cant load web player at home keeps saying "something happened" reload page. So after reloading page like 3 times it works but no playlists show up. so I log out. now I cant log in at all. i try to make another account. I cant it says I cant prove that I am human even though catch-pa says green tick. I give up try another computer in my home same thing. I try install MS app from app store I login. but app says error try to reload? on a fresh install? never have I used the app at home before and there is an error. ok I reload after 3 times it works. I try to play a song 6 seconds in it says error cant play song. I try to search for songs. cant. so as i keep typing this random songs keep trying to play that I tried to get to play like 3 minutes ago. so is spotify having 180,000ms lag today?

you can use Musconv tool, it is pretty good

hi logged in on a different laptop found the same issue 

Hi folks,

Thank you for posting in this thread.

@albert92 Could you let us know if you're able to open and use your account on a different device such as a phone? 

Also, please try following the troubleshooting steps shared on this thread. They've worked for other users, they may work for you too.

@Double_Downz Since the issue seems to be generated directly from your account, we suggest you create a new account and follow these steps to transfer your music. Just make sure to test the new account before moving the music. 

Let us know how it goes!

Maria_BModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“The music is not in the notes, but in the silence in between.” – Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Hey so i decided to try redownload spotify one more time and it started working again but i found out the problem once i turned on local files it started crashing again so the local files were the issue 

Hey @Double_Downz,

Thanks for the reply.

Can you try clearing your local files cache, like described here.

Let us know if that helped.

AlexModerator

Hey cleared the cache still crashes i think the best solution for this is just to do a fresh reinstall 

Suggested posts