Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Windows player Discovery screen frozen display

Solved!

Spotify Windows player Discovery screen frozen display

Hello!

After the recent update, the discovery screen appears to freeze up graphically on my computer. I can still click links that are 'invisible' and even scroll down and things seem to move by (although I don't see any change except that my mouse pointer turns into that pointing hand that normally shows up when you mouse over a link; the locations that it turns into a pointer change). All other sections appear to work just fine in the desktop app.

It seems that the page just doesnt render beyond the point to where it finishes loading, no content shows up at all, but it's there... just not graphically.

Was there some kind of change in how the discovery section renders? Maybe using hardware rendering or something?

Edit: this affects Apps as well, or at least so far the Pitchfork app.

68 Replies

Is yours working now? I am still having the white box appear and am extremely frustrated.

Can you please explain further how to add those switches?

Thank you for the response. I am still experiencing this issue and as a Premium user for over 2 years now, I am very frustrated that this problem cannot be fixed. Please help. Thank you.

Can you please help advise how to get to this place on my computer so I can try to fix this issue via switches? Thank you.

what the heck does all this even mean? ._. 

I'm still having problems after reinstalling like 5 times. 

Marked as solution

If you are on Windows:

Completely exit Spotify.

Hit start > type "run" > hit enter, copy and paste:

%APPDATA%\Spotify\spotify.exe --disable-accelerated-layers --disable-accelerated-fixed-root-background

into the box and press ok. 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

That fixed everything! thank you thank you Thank you.

Well, looks like things are back to not working today.  Am I going to need do that everyday i open spotify? Peter?

@DJSmooth wrote:

Well, looks like things are back to not working today.  Am I going to need do that everyday i open spotify? Peter?

On v0.9.4 yes, however v0.9.6 is currently rolling out which will hopefully fix the issue. 

If you haven't got it yet, download the installer manually from:

http://download.spotify.com/Spotify%20Installer.exe 

Run it, let it update and then see if you get the same issue! 

Let me know 🙂

Peter

installed version 0.9.6.72 yesterday, this morning signed on and things are still not working.  I have to go in and do the step you mentioned, so the update did not fix it.

Thanks - I'll make sure that gets passed over to the Spotify team. 

Peter

Peter

Hey guys! @DJSmooth @loveangelica63 @mollygauss77 Could you all please confirm:

1. You've tried the previous troubleshooting (updated graphics card)

2. Your OS and Spotify app version

3. Post screenshots of what you're seeing if possible

We'll take it from there!

Can you please advise how to try the previous steps? Attached is a screen shot. Thank you very much.

I am using OS Windows 7 32-bit and Spotify version 0.9.6.72.ge389c074 How do you update the graphics card? I tried downloading an older version of spotify (one from a few months ago) and it let me send music. So it is definitely something going on with the updated version.

The current update releases haven't worked for me, either. Discovery/radio pages are still black as well as the "share music with friends" window. I've been emailing back and forth about this with the tech support but they've been silent for a few weeks now. Too bad that the update didn't work :c

If you guys are using Windows, does starting Spotify like outlined in this post fix the issue? 

Peter

Peter, yes if start spotiy as you suggested everything is fine, discovery page shows properly, and i can share music. If i forget and just sign on as i should be able to, the discovery page is blank/white as is my share dialogue box.  Thanks for the help. As a premium paying customer, this is extremely frustrating .

Just double checked, this has been raised as an ongoing issue with v0.9.6 so the Spotify team are aware of it.

Peter

Any idea on when this may be fixed?

If that is directed at me unfortunately I can't answer since I don't work for Spotify. 

I would hope for the next release, but its pretty hard to tell! 

Peter

Suggested posts