Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify crashes when adding/removing tracks from playlist

Solved!

Spotify crashes when adding/removing tracks from playlist

So I'm listening to a Radio, a song comes up that I want to add to a playlist, I click on teh album art and select add to playlist select the playlist then BAM music stops, dissapears. I'm rocking a W7 with plenty of memory (8core) NO reason for it to crash.

Also went to play Que to add the song Still crashes

If you can help it would be appreciated cause I'm getting angry.

[Edit - Title for clarity - Mod]

601 Replies

Yeah, new version hope it helps..

Rollo_ wrote:
LMAO.  Next week isn't that far off. This post seems like it was written by a 10 year old who has never had to do anything for himself and whose mommy always bought him the newest and the best just as soon as he wanted it. 

DUDE, chill out.  Code doesn't write itself, and there hasn't exactly been a consensus duplication of the problem.

Haha, it may have come across as very childish, sorry. Frustration over the appaling customer treatment got the best of me. I've been on both sides of the fence here since a youngster, and I've learnt having a clear and open discussion with your customers is essential to a business' reputation, prosperity and longevity. I wish more companies would see the benefit here. Spotify as a concept is why I'm still here since I believe in it, but this doesn't really help their name or that model...

Thankful the new version is out though, and big ups for the new "Messages" section where you can see the history of what you've sent and been sent. Been longing so long for such a feature!

- - -
"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
- Jorge Luis Borges

Yes, new version seems to fix it. And got a Free month of premium too.

To the person who bestowed kudos upon the Spotify team for taking "only" a few weeks to fix this bug: Your kudos are unwarranted.  Yes, bugs can take an exceedingly long time to fix, unless...

unless...

unless... Unless you employ programmers.

i'm on a mac - assuming i'm using the most recent version of spotify as it's not telling me to restart for the new version. and it crashes every other time i add a song to a playlist. 

any workarounds to fix this issue? 

@jonLInder wrote:

i'm on a mac - assuming i'm using the most recent version of spotify as it's not telling me to restart for the new version. and it crashes every other time i add a song to a playlist. 

any workarounds to fix this issue? 

What version is it showing as in Spotify > About? 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

I guess duty calls.

I'm a software engineer with a large multinational computer systems company, and I've been interested to see how Spotify handled the first significant bug I've seen in their product since I first started using it around 5 years ago. In short, they did about as well as could reasonably expected of them, though perhaps they could have communicated better so that some of the more excitable users would have understood that the problem was actually being worked on.

It's important we understand that is not a simple bug to reproduce, because it required some unknown amount of time to pass while context-switched to some other program for it to occur (somewhere between 20 and 45 minutes in my experience). That's a long time for a computer, and any number of things could have happened during it to trigger the crash. It's also a long time for a developer to wait to reproduce a bug (about a 10th of their working day), and because of the uncertainty around what during that time was triggering the issue, it makes it difficult to create an automated test for the crash. As a result, just causing the bug and capturing the necessary information about the programs state and context was harder for this bug than most of the others they deal with. It's exactly this kind of bug I dread having to deal with.

They did request the .dmp crash files and console tracing in this thread (or one of the many that ended up merged into each other), but the process for collecting them and submitting them wasn't really obvious from the posts, which I think confused quite a few people. One way they could improve here would be to automatically collect the crash files when spotify restarts, or to otherwise streamline their process for submitting the data.

I started experiencing this issue about two weeks ago. I think it took about a week for enough other users to report the issue that the moderators took notice and started escalating to support. From there it took about another week for the developers to reproduce and analyse the issue, develop and test a fix, integrate the fix with the product and roll out a new release to the user base. Frankly, for an issue that seemingly only affected some users if they performed a specific action in the desktop client only, that sort of turn around is actually pretty remarkable.

Yes, these things are annoying when they happen, but nobody's life depends on deleting tracks from their playlists, and considering all the functionality they do offer which doesn't have any obvious flaws, I think they're doing a pretty decent job. The company I work for will only provide fixes for similar issues as quickly as this if the customers experiencing it are similarly large multinationals who are likely to be losing money due to the defect.

About the only improvement Spotify could reasonably make in the future is to communicate better about what stage the bug is in: triage/analysis/development/testing/integration or however they slice things up. That and making it easier for users experiencing a crash to submit the necessary core files and tracing.

Thanks Spotify 🙂

PS: While I'm at it, Spotify has over 6 million paying subscribers, so they're not going to notice your protest boycott. I'm sure they'd rather rdio had to deal with your whining 🙂

version: 0.9.4.169.gc0399df6

Dear Uberjoe,

Ah, but you said it yourself.  Spotify has 6,000,000 users.  They should have devoted more time and effort to this problem and the fact that it took six weeks to solve, this despite your charity regarding the difficulty of shooting time-dependent bugs.  Nor was this bug particularly intermittent for those affected suffered it multiple times daily.  But, of course, you're an exalted Software Engineer (implying that you have a degree in engineering from an engineering school).  I'm a simple, retired Systems Programmer with a BA in Maths. who worked in my field for over thirty years and have written at least hundreds of thousands of lines of code in assembly language and who spent most of my career solving emergency problems.  If a program of mine, even one used by mere thousands of users, behaved like this and I didn't fix the bug immediately, and I didn't communicate my progress, I'd have been fired; any of us real programmers would have been.  I categorically refute your claim that Spotify did as well as could be expected unless you modify your statement to say that they did as well as could be expected for an outfit that doesn't employ real programmers.  Nor was this the Spotify client for Windows' only severe bug.  In fact, I reported a severe bug which affected me for nine months, at least.  They spent several months denying the bug.  Then some several weeks trying to blame it on me.  Then, after I sent them evidence, including videos, they acknowledged the problem and spent some more months solving it.

Spotify is incompetent.  Your exalted title doesn't give you the right to excuse their incompetence.

Jeff Broido

Spotify crashes when deleting track from playlist on mac and linux.

Mac version: 0.9.1.57.ge7405149

Marked as solution

Hello everyone,

Staff here. Thanks for hanging in there while we worked on this bug. We've rolled out the newest version of the desktop app to about 50% of users at this time. For those of you who haven't yet received the notification inviting you to update, you can download the new version from Spotify.com using the instructions mentioned in this post.

We're monitoring the issue closely so please let us know if the problem persists even after you've upgraded to 0.9.4.

Get your popcorn ready guys.

@azz710 wrote:

Dear Uberjoe,

Ah, but you said it yourself.  Spotify has 6,000,000 users.  They should have devoted more time and effort to this problem and the fact that it took six weeks to solve, this despite your charity regarding the difficulty of shooting time-dependent bugs. 

The first post in this thread was two weeks ago, can you point out where the six weeks come from? How much more time and effort should they have devoted than they did? Why?

Nor was this bug particularly intermittent for those affected suffered it multiple times daily. 

There's an old joke, I'm sure you've heard it: a guy goes to see the doctor and he tells him "Doctor! It hurts when I do this!". The doctor looks at him and says "Well, don't do that."

But, of course, you're an exalted Software Engineer (implying that you have a degree in engineering from an engineering school).  I'm a simple, retired Systems Programmer with a BA in Maths. who worked in my field for over thirty years and have written at least hundreds of thousands of lines of code in assembly language and who spent most of my career solving emergency problems.  If a program of mine, even one used by mere thousands of users, behaved like this and I didn't fix the bug immediately, and I didn't communicate my progress, I'd have been fired; any of us real programmers would have been.  I categorically refute your claim that Spotify did as well as could be expected unless you modify your statement to say that they did as well as could be expected for an outfit that doesn't employ real programmers. 

Yup, desktop music streaming software is exactly the same as mainframe systems sofware. Perhaps Spotify should mail out that there's quiche in the kitchen and fire anyone who turns up...

Nor was this the Spotify client for Windows' only severe bug.  In fact, I reported a severe bug which affected me for nine months, at least.  They spent several months denying the bug.  Then some several weeks trying to blame it on me.  Then, after I sent them evidence, including videos, they acknowledged the problem and spent some more months solving it.

Spotify is incompetent.  Your exalted title doesn't give you the right to excuse their incompetence.

Jeff Broido

Citation Needed.

@uberjoe wrote:

Yup, desktop music streaming software is exactly the same as mainframe systems sofware. Perhaps Spotify should mail out that there's quiche in the kitchen and fire anyone who turns up...

Citation Needed.

You're probably right that it was "only" two weeks, Super Joseph (hint: perhaps you might consider reevaluating your use of the handle); it seemed like a lot longer to me and others have said it was six weeks, so I just assumed that it was true.  But even if it was two weeks, it was an awfully quiet two weeks, with nary a word from Spotify. 

And, no, music streaming isn't exactly the same as mainframe systems software (gee, you know how to use Google), though you might find that the paltforms have more in common than you would imagine (for example, in the '70s, I wrote the first text-to-speech software for the world's first speech synthesis system).  But in many ways, software is software, despite differences in various platforms.  And I still maintain that there is no excuse whatsoever for a public platform such as Spotify to have a bug so easy to reproduce which went unsolved and unheralded for even two weeks. 

So, you now know all of my particulars, presumably from my rather extensive CV.  We, of course, still don't know anything about you except that you claim to have an engineering degree.  As you say, citation needed.

Jeff Broido

azz710 - We tried to post regularly, keeping everyone updated. We do understand our posts often get lost in busier threads, so it's possible you may have missed them. We're looking into that.

Thanks to everyone for all the info that was posted here, it was very helpful. Please keep us updated.
-------

Check out how we're doing over @SpotifyStatus

Question answered? Just click 'Accept as solution' to help other users out. Easy.

Who's your Spotify Star?

That's a pretty radical solution. It's much easier just to restart Spotify after it crashes, after which the very same track that caused it to crash seconds before can be successfully added to my playlist. I can also add numerous other tracks at the same time. But half an hour later, trying to add another library track to my playlist causes Spotify to crash again. Restart, find the library track, add it to playlist--no problem. All of this started happening after the last Spotify update--if that's any help. It never happened once before that.

Marked as solution

@flboffin Please try a reinstall. That should ensure you have the newest update (we uploaded it today).

-------

Question answered? Just click 'Accept as solution' to help other users out. Easy.

Who's your Spotify Star?

Super Joseph,

This is not an official support site but, rather, a community forum.  E-mail messages to Spotify were ignored.

azz710 - My apologies that you didn't hear back, Jeff. I can't seem to find your case anywhere, could you PM me the email address you used?
-------

Who's your Spotify Star?

Same problem here!

Suggested posts