Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Discord] Display Podcasts

Spotify activity is displayed on Discord. However, when you listen to podcasts instead of music, it doesn't. I think it should. 

Updated on 2022-06-24

Hey! Looks like your idea is growing up fast and it's amazing! We are going to change its status to 'Good Suggestion' now and we hope it continues being supported by more and more users.
Thanks again for your suggestion. We really appreciate it 🙂

More information about how the Spotify Idea Exchange works can be found here.

Comments
FamineCocoPuff

All audio activity should be displayed, music, podcasts, or otherwise in the same way that music activity is displayed including friend activity. 

Fate2726

I'm almost on episode 80 of the Welcome to NightVale podcast and I just realized Discord will only display radio stations I've tuned into. It's kind of sad, because I could've been promoting how well I think Welcome to NightVale is to people who, after I talked to them about it, buzzed back to their Spotify accounts and gave it a listen. I think it's an oversight to only include radio stations - even public playlists don't show up there. I might just use a different music provider if they'll display my current progress on podcasts I listen to - if my Premium account won't do what I want on Spotify, I'll just go somewhere else that will.

Mihail
Status changed to: New Suggestion

Updated on 2021-07-06

Hello and thanks for submitting your idea to the Idea Exchange!

We've gone ahead and marked this as a new suggestion. Spotify Staff will look into this idea once it reaches the necessary amount of votes.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Cheers!

midoriha_senpai

Bump!

Yeah, this would be great to add to the Spotify API. Discord has already mentioned they would support the feature if it's provided. My one caveat would be that, on Spotify's end, they give users a toggle or something to decide which podcasts can be exposed in the API requests.

Scientia669

@midoriha_senpai

I'm not sure this toggle is needed (although it would be handy), because we still have the private mode, so you have control over when to expose your listening activity and when not, in any situation (not sure if you have considered that).

midoriha_senpai

@Scientia669

Your point is well taken, a private session should work. But then you'd have to leave the private session to show what you're listening to; coming in and out of private sessions manually can get annoying, lol. Plus, Spotify has a vague explanation on whether or not listens while in a private session influence your music/podcast recommendations or stats. One way the toggle could work is by turning on a private session whenever something is queued up that has the toggle on, then turn it off when something is queued with it off. You might want your friends to see that you're streaming Breaking Points politics podcast, for example, but not your Alcoholics Anonymous self-help podcast 😅; if you're not quick enough, your followers might see it queued up before you can manually enter a private session. Or maybe a stream error hits and Spotify automatically goes to something you don't want displayed while you're in the shower.

There's a good chance I'm overthinking this, though. I really would just like to start with Discord displaying podcasts. I can deal with the rest, but it would be nice. I guess I should probably start a new idea, lol.

Luan
Status changed to: Closed - Not Enough Votes

Updated on 2021-08-27

Hello!

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos yet. In order to keep an overview of the active ideas in this forum, we will close this idea for now. However, this does not mean that your idea has been declined by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to continue sharing it to get more kudos. Folks can still add their votes and comments in order to support it.

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here.

When you are listening to a podcast in spotify, it doesn´t shows on discord, like happens with the songs. It will be useful to show "Listening to a podcast", as a activity on discord, to generate spotify listening parties of that podcasts.

ellardius

I often listen to Spotify music with friends via the Discord "Listen along" integration. This works really well. However, when I am working I often listen to podcasts too, but this data is not exposed to the API. This means that Discord does not know what podcast I am listening to, making it impossible to use the "Listen along" functionality.

Discord has stated that if the required data is exposed, they will add this feature!

I know Spotify has something in Beta to listen to podcasts together, but this does not yet work on Spotify Desktop.

Luan
Status changed to: Good Suggestion

Updated on 2022-06-24

Hey! Looks like your idea is growing up fast and it's amazing! We are going to change its status to 'Good Suggestion' now and we hope it continues being supported by more and more users.
Thanks again for your suggestion. We really appreciate it 🙂

More information about how the Spotify Idea Exchange works can be found here.