Free

Country

United Kingdom

Device

iPhone 11 

Operating System

iOS 14.3

My Question or Issue

This problem has been ongoing for a while so I’m not listening to much music anymore because of this.

Basically, whenever I’m trying to listen to the songs in my playlists, Spotify will randomly stop the music, and it will not show in the control centre or on the locked screen. The only way to resume listening it to open the app and press play. However it doesn’t continue where it left off, it will play the song from the beginning, which is really annoying. 

I’ve tried clearing cache, restarting the app, reinstalled the app, restarting my phone, etc. But nothing has seemed to fix this. It happens with my phone only, not on any of my other devices. I’m at a loss on what I can do to fix this, any solution would be appreciated.

Hey everyone,

Thank you for reporting this issue to us.

The right folks have been looking into this continuously and regrettably weren't able to reproduce this behavior. Even for the long duration this issue was open, the total number of reports include a variety of devices and app versions, but have not been as substantial in the grand scheme of things.

This points to a sporadic nature of the issue and makes it difficult to find a direct cause. Based on the data gathered so far, the root cause of such experiences can range from network issues, to other apps taking over audio priority and the OS itself stopping the app when it might try to save battery.

So without being able to identify a specific cause, we'll need to set this to NRN. We recommend excluding Spotify from any battery saving toggles as a first troubleshooting step.

Besides that we'll continue to optimize the app to hopefully reduce the instances of this occurring. We'll also continue monitoring this thread for anything that might help us identify a specific cause and correlation between the cases.

Take care!

Comments
Ver

Hey @monicax2,

Thanks for getting in touch with us 🙂

The troubleshooting steps you've tried so far are very good. We'd like to add a few more.

It's a good idea to give these steps a go and run a clean reinstall. This one is more thorough than the usual one.

In case you're using any battery optimization or power saving apps, you can deactivate them for Spotify.

You can also send us a video recording of what you're seeing. We'll investigate this further. 

Keep us in the loop! If you have questions, you know where to find us.

monicax2

Hiya, thanks for responding quickly, I have also tried a clean reinstall as well as the battery optimisation stuff too, but nothing has seemed to fix this. 
I had power saver on when this happened but it happens regardless of when it’s on. It usually continues to happen once the first time it does it, so I just quit the app altogether and don’t listen to music. 
I’m not sure how to attach the video as it’s not supported, where do I send it to?

Jeremy

Hey there @monicax2,

Thank you for your reply and confirmation.

Can you try with another internet connection to see if the issue persist?

Also - can you log in with another account - such as a friend's or a family member's to see if there's any difference?

It would also be great if you can let us know which version of the app you're having?

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Take care!

monicax2

I’ve also tried different internet connections and the problem is the same, the problem also occurs on different accounts and the version I’m using is 8.5.96. 
I have a recording of it happening, but I’m not sure where or how to send it.

Jeremy

Hey again @monicax2,

Thank you for getting back in touch with us.

In this case we suggest that you try the following:

• Soft reset of the device
  • Ensure the operating system is up-to-date
  • Ensure device has enough storage space

Let us know how everything goes so that we can continue to assist you if you need us to. We're always one reply away.

Cheers!

monicax2

Yes I’ve tried a soft reset and my phone is up to date and has plenty of storage but it still continues. I’m not sure what’s causing it or how to fix it but I’ll keep trying all the suggestions.

Mihail

Hey @monicax2,

Thanks for getting back to us.

The troubleshooting done so far indicates that the root cause of this behavior lies with the device itself. To further test this, could you log in on another device and share if you experience the same issue there?

On another note, do you remember a specific event (like installing an update or a new app) after which this started happening? Also, are you experiencing these interruptions with both ads and music?

The recording you mention would indeed be a great help in getting to the bottom of this. You can attach it to you reply via the Insert Video option in the Post Editor.

Keep us posted. We’ll keep an eye out for your reply.

Emgbu

Plan

Free

Country

USA

Device

iPhone 11

Operating System

iOS 14.4

My Question or Issue

Whenever I play a song and then either put my phone down or go to another app to browse, it stops in the middle of the song and when I reopen Spotify and press play again it puts me back to a couple seconds into the song. This only happens when I don’t actively have the app up on my screen.  This happened for a while when I first got this phone at the start of January 2021 and just recently has started becoming an issue again. I’ve tried the clean reinstall and phone restart methods multiple times and they haven’t worked, and my phone isn’t on data or power saving mode. Help would be appreciated, thanks!

Mihail

Hey @Emgbu,

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the Community.

Just to make sure that we're on the same page - did you try a clean reinstall using these steps? We recommend the steps in that guide, as they’re very thorough and make sure no damaged leftover files remain.

If that's the case, we recommend to check if toggling Background Refresh on/ off makes a difference. You can find this option by going to Settings > General > Background App Refresh.  Try it with both positions for Spotify and let us know if that made any improvements.

It's also worthwhile to have a look at the lock screen settings of your device. You can consult this guide from Apple.

Hope this helps. Let us know how you get on.

monicax2

So far I can’t recall it happening with ads, and this problem has happened on both my old phone and current phone but does not happen on any of my other devices. Since it’s been happening for quite a while I can’t seem to remember when this started.

I cut the video a lot, but after that I would just open the app and press play on the song and it would start again from the beginning instead of where it left off.