Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Keeps Undownloading Songs

Spotify Keeps Undownloading Songs

Plan

Premium

Country

Canada

Device

(iPhone X, PC)

Operating System

(iOS 12, Windows 10)

My Question or Issue

For almost a year now spotify will randomly delete a few hundred to a few thousand songs from either my phone or my PC (never both at the same time) once or twice a month. This is without me adjusting any settings, they are just in playlists that are set to download and they will randomly start redownloading sometimes when I turn my device on. This is very annoying as one of the reasons I have premium is my lack of reliable internet! When spotify decides to delete and redownload 1000+ songs my entire house's internet goes down for a few hours!

Capture.PNG
48 Replies

Hey there @yandhi,

thanks for posting !

Sorry to hear you're having an issue.

I would have to say that the app/any app cannot perform the actions you're describing without the owners permission.

Therefore, i recommend you check out and follow the steps on this help guide just in case.

Feel free to reply back to the post in case i misunderstood the issue.

Let me know how it goes 🙂

Hi @OneByBoo,

Yes I have read the guide. It is irrelevant to the problem.

My point is i am NOT giving spotify permission to arbitrarily uninstall songs from my playlists. On one of my playlists of approximately ~3000 songs, I logged on to my computer yesterday and it started redownloading 1200 of them. No rhyme or reason just random songs in the playlist. It does that on my computer sometimes, other times on my phone.

A quick search of google yields many other users with the exact same problem on many different devices that has been going on for YEARS that spotify seems to be ignoring.

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Android/Spotify-keeps-deleting-downloaded-songs/td-p/1656038/page/5

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Accounts/Keeps-undownloading-songs/td-p/2113739

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Other-Partners-Web-Player-etc/All-music-undownloaded/td-p/1390160

https://www.reddit.com/r/spotify/comments/884p3g/spotify_keeps_undownloading_my_offline_downloaded/

I can keep going, there’s hundreds of posts like this around the internet and most of them are marked as solved with half baked solutions that don’t actually address the problem.

I’ve been a premium spotify user for almost a year now and this has been happening ever since I got premium, and apparently longer. As my playlists get bigger it just gets more annoying. Please address the issue spotify!

Still a major issue, thread getting ignored again. Spotify just decided to randomly undownload half my library again. Suddenly, while music was playing, it just stopped and everything was undownloaded. Ridiculous.

https://postimg.cc/CzY0f9Qh/250bef2c

still an issue

Hi @yandhi,

thanks for your patience !

Sorry to hear the first guide was no help, let's try some more steps togther.

First check out this help page for further help on downloaded content.

Then, in order to determine if you're having a cache issue, head here to check if any of your devices which has downloaded offline content  is shown more than once.

In case you find any of them shown more than once, please check out this Spotify Answer to perform a reinstallation of the app on each of the devices.

However, if you doesn't see any of your devices more than once on the list, please provide me with the following info so i can check further :

• Are the songs you're having issues with local files?
  • Do you have more than 5 devices listed here?
  • Does this persist when using a different network connection?
  • Is the app updated to the latest version available on each of the affected devices?

Keep me posted 🙂

I am experiencing the exact same issue. I never go offline with Spotify. This morning every single playlist of mine was switched off on the downloads option without me doing anything. This is from my PC. I now have to download all 6500 songs again.

Please address this immediately Spotify!

Hey there @ChrisDavid,

Thanks for posting about this here in the Community!

First, just to confirm, have you tried the steps mentioned by @OneByBoo above? If you haven't, we'd recommend giving these a try.

If you're still having troubles after that, it'd be helpful if you could let us know some additional details like the version of the Spotify app you're on, if this happens with local files, etc so we can take a closer look.

We'll be keeping an eye out for your reply.

Have a lovely day 🙂

KaterinaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself! 

Still an issue. Getting ready to take off for a 5 hour flight with no music now.

Hi @Mgavin252,

Thanks for jumping in here!

Just to confirm - do you have any cache-clearing apps? If so, can you set Spotify as an exception from the app's settings? 

It can also be insightful for you to check the Downloads unexpectedly removed section from this article

Let us know what you've tried and how it worked out for you. 

We'll stay tuned to what you have to say!

PetyaModerator

If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

Hi, I'm having this same issue and have had it happen multiple times. I'm unsure how to check that my phone isn't automatically deleting the cache for Spotify but I checked and it's the most up-to-date version of the app. This is incredibly frustrating, as the other two posters have clearly stated.

Do you have any idea what a pain in the ass this is?  I have to randomly redownload on my tablet. This takes hours, hogs my bandwidth while I am redownloading, causes issues with Spotify on other devices while downloading, and is extremely annoying when expecting to listen playlists when offline.  You need to make some kind of Spotify internal fix instead of making Users go through this reinstall and redownload **bleep**.

Jade

For real. I just got refunded and quit my premium for the 3rd time because you guys obviously have no long term intention of addressing this issue. I use Kindle fires with sd cards and this issue has been going on for years now. Iresubscribe to see of you had fixed it; but nope. Same problem STILL exists. Consumers shouldnt have to constantly trouble shoot this over and over again. I have a limited data hotspot and depend on downloaded music. I cant just reinstall\ redownload all the time. It always switches my DL location from external to internal and loses my downloads. For such a big company, this not being fixed after literally years now is insane. Plenty of other services ou there.

yeah this still happens ALL the time. thanks to the posters for the suggestions but they did not work. i think it’s an issue on spotify’s end

Hey there @remi417, @JadeRiver @KevinL1977

Thanks for reaching out to us. Don't worry. We're here to help.

Also thanks @yandhi for getting back to us.

Can you folks restart the devices and log out and log back in to the account? We'd suggest you also give these steps a go. That way, you can make sure the cache is not leading to this issue.

Keep in mind that you need to go online with Spotify every 30 days, so that the system can check your Premium’s still active and count plays to compensate artists.

If you've checked all of the things we've sent so far, you can take a look at this Ongoing issue that we have and leave your vote and info.

Keep us in the loop! If you have more questions, we are here for you.

ElenaModerator

This is ridiculous. I have been paying for Spotify premium for over 3 years now, and a countless amount of times my music has undownloaded and I need to take an hour or more of my time to re-downloaded. This has happened more than once. I’m really considering switching to another platform this is ridiculous. The point of downloading this music and paying this money is for it to stay downloaded on the phone. The fact that you guys have done the bare minimum to help fix this situation is beyond me. How many people complaining is it going to take for you guys to fix this ???!!! (Have the IPhone 11 Pro) 

Hey @judogage,

Thanks for reaching out to us. We're sorry to hear you feel this way and we'd love to help you out.

It sounds like this could be an issue related to the cache. Can you give these steps a go and run a clean reinstall? This one is more thorough than the usual one. That way you can make sure that the app is up-to-date and the cache is not causing any issues.

Keep us in the loop! If you have questions, you know where to find us.

Ver Moderator

So at the very least, just add the ability to download in mass selection because it's so stupid to have to go into each individual playlist and click the download button or right click individually. I have this same issue randomly too and it's so annoying because I have over 100 playlists and several thousands of songs and having this happen even 2 or 3 times takes several hours to download the songs again...

PLEASE add a shift click or something to select multiple playlist or something. It wouldn't be a hard feature to select and it would put a band-aid on this already time consuming issue but at the very least I don't want to spent 20 - 30 minutes manually selecting my individual playlists to click a button.

Hey there @Siun,

Thank you for your post and feedback.

We're constantly aiming to improve our features so we hope you’ll continue using it and find it gets better in the future. 

If you think your suggestion will appeal to other users you can always create an idea on the relevant idea board. We always take new ideas and feedback into consideration to improve the app. 

You can read more about how your feedback reach Spotify here.

Once again - thanks for the feedback, we appreciate it. Let us know if we can help with anything else. We're always one reply away.

JeremyModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

This issue is still an issue regardless of this feature I want added or not. This has happened to my Spotify app as well and I had to redownload 90% of my playlist and songs again... This shouldn't be an issue and Spotify shouldn't have this many bugs and issues with it for how long it's been around..

This issue shouldn't have happened in the first place, it makes zero sense. I don't input a command for it to undownload my playlist yet for some reason 90% of my playlist get undownloaded and I'm stuck wasting HOURS of my time every month having to deal with this garbage. Please fix this, it's insanely annoying and shouldn't even be an issue. This website is even a mess, I tried submitting a message and I got a server error and my message I typed wasn't even saved. What is this?? There are server issues and application issues that are plaguing this entire system and it's baffling that these are still issues as big of a company Spotify is.

Suggested posts