Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Release Notes - Spotify for iOS 0.7.4

Solved!

Release Notes - Spotify for iOS 0.7.4

Hi folks.

What's new in this version (0.7.4):

• New: We're rolling out an entirely new way to Browse music.
  • New: Spotify now speaks Thai, Turkish, Brazilian Portuguese, Malay and Greek.
  • Fixed: Bugs and bad things.

Updates 2013-09-04

• Crashing: We're aware that some people are experiencing issues with Spotify crashing. We're investigating and will keep you posted. You can also keep an eye on @SpotifyStatus for more information, as it becomes available.
  • The "original" Playlist view has been restored, and with it the shuffle function!

Updates 2013-09-07 (Adam)

• While we're investigating the crashing of 0.7.4, if you have a Spotify username but an account also connected to Facebook, try using your Facebook details to log in rather than your username.
  • Alternatively, as a temporary fix, download the Spotify iOS 4 app from the App Store. It's a bit old school but it'll give you access to your playlists and most of the same features as normal.

Updates 2013-09-10 (Per)

• The crashing of 0.7.4 should be resolved now
  • If you're still having issues with crashing, please reply with this info:
    - Did your app start crashing with this latest update, 0.7.4, or was it already happening before?

Notes:

• Shuffle: You can still turn this on/off in album view
  • Users with iOS versions 4 and 5 can still use "Spotify for iOS4", which can be found in the App Store.
  • If you're having trouble with an update, please always make sure to go through the [iOS] Troubleshooting Spotify steps before posting.
Community Ergo Sum
89 Replies

This worked for me.

I was encountering the crashes when I tried to login with my Spotify username and password.

I deleted the app, cleared Safari cache, did a hard reset and re-installed v0.7.4 from the app store. I chose the Login with Facebook option and the app opened up and seems to be fully functional.

The new way of browsing on an ios device is really awsome.

The visual way you made up the playlist is really nice.

could think of similar way for the desktop version.

enjoy the new feature a lot.

thanks 

@Goodman wrote:

Hi folks.

What's new in this version (0.7.4):

• New: We're rolling out an entirely new way to Browse music.
  • New: Spotify now speaks Thai, Turkish, Brazilian Portuguese, Malay and Greek.
  • Fixed: Bugs and bad things.

Updates 2013-09-04

• Crashing: We're aware that some people are experiencing issues with Spotify crashing. We're investigating and will keep you posted. You can also keep an eye on @SpotifyStatus for more information, as it becomes available.
  • The "original" Playlist view has been restored, and with it the shuffle function!

Notes:

• Shuffle: You can still turn this on/off in album view
  • Users with iOS versions 4 and 5 can still use "Spotify for iOS4", which can be found in the App Store.
  • If you're having trouble with an update, please always make sure to go through the [iOS] Troubleshooting Spotify steps before posting.

The program just dies, stops working. When trying to open again it doesn’t. If I reinstall I get as far as entering my spotify details. When details are added and I press to proceed it dies again.

This has happened two times with two different Iphone (both iphone 4). I solved the problem by re-setting the phone the first time. No luck now. 

A more detailed description, using numbered steps

1. First I deleted the program and re-installed. I get as far as entering my spotify details. When details are added and I press to proceed it dies again.

2. Then I deleted cookies and web history, deleted the program and re-installed

3. I actullay re-seted the entire phone and reinstalled spotify

What I expected to happen

I expected the program to start working!

What actually happened

It died when I tried to open it, as before

My iPad/iPhone model

iPhone 4

Device’s Operating System

Is your device jailbroken?

No I guess

Approximately how many playlists do you have?

My mobile Spotify version

My provider and country

Telia, Sweden

My username

miyous

Do you have any screenshots you can attach to more clearly explain your issue?

No

Marked as solution

This worked for me. (too)

I was encountering the crashes when I tried to login with my Spotify username and password (as well)

I deleted the app, cleared Safari cache, did a hard reset and re-installed v0.7.4 from the app store. I chose the Login with Facebook option and the app opened up and seems to be fully functional.

This worked on both iPhone and Ipad

must have done something wrong the first time I tried cause now it works. thank you!

How is it possible that after months, I still don't even have the 'Up Next' feature that was supposed to be in 0.7.1? And now there's an OMG-worthy playlist view? Could've fooled me.

@stereoesque wrote:
How is it possible that after months, I still don't even have the 'Up Next' feature that was supposed to be in 0.7.1? And now there's an OMG-worthy playlist view? Could've fooled me.

@stereoesque The new "now playing view" with the "up next feature" is slowly being rolled out and is not tied to the 0.7.1 update. The new "playlist view" was actually activated in 0.7.4 but was quickly removed due to public outcry. People were mad because the new playlist view doesn't have a "shuffle playlist" button at the top, even though you could still use the hidden shuffle control on the "now playing" screen. I guess they will bring back the new playlist view with a shuffle playlist button or something. 

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Thanks for the reply, Matt. It's very misleading that the spotify developers announce new features in the release notes for a particular version but don't actually deliver the announced features in that version. What is the point of version numbers and release notes if they're not tied together? Unfortunately, "slow" is evidently the key word in all their feature releases.

As a software developer myself for over 2 decades, I've never experienced a development system or paradigm where features are implemented and an updated version published, but the implemented features are then selectively turned on for random users over a long period of time. It's very strange and frustrating as a user. What is it about their development practices that makes it so hard to simply develop and deliver features to all users at once? Are the announced features implemented or not? We all pay the same fees. What do you have to do you get to be selected among the lucky few who actually get the new features when they're announced? Aside from the recent Discover features (which are nice), I'm essentially using the same app that I was a year ago–a very frustrating app that lacks basic features that I and others have been asking for for months.

As for spotify quickly responding to public outcry, what do you have to do to get them to listen at all, let alone respond? I've seen community posts going back years asking for some very basic usability improvements and features in both desktop and mobile versions that I've come to disappointedly accept will simply never be there. The Play Queue is possibly the most unintuitive and difficult to manage software feature I've ever experienced. What are they spending their time developing (and then taking months to roll out) if not improving existing features that so many users complain about for so long? I hope for the day when either Apple offers a streaming service that rivals spotify so I can return to the usability of iTunes, or when spotify actually figures out how to develop usable software and is willing to truly listen to their paying customers. Until then, I'm caught between subpar options that leave me wondering why I bother paying for any of them.

Sorry for the rant, but you seem to be privy to more insight than most!

Hi!

Spotify keeps crashing on my Iphone when I updated the app today 2013-09-07.

What to do?

I am using spotify on my iPhone 4S, operating system 6.1.3. For the past several days the app will not open. Just get a blank screen with black bar at top. I have deleted and reinstalled app several times but nothing works. Please advise . I have a premium subscription.

First, the crash problem is not solved. Instructing customers that they must register for a Facebook account to enjoy their subscription on the most recent App platform is not, to me, an adequate remedy. I don't use Facebook, I don't want to use Facebook, and I wouldn't have purchased a subscription had Facebook been a requirement.

Second, it's been five days. Where are the updates about, if not resolution of, the crash problem? I didn't buy a subscription to understand how well or poorly Spotify problem solves. I bought a subscription to enjoy streaming music on my mobile phone. I imagine that's true for many customers. Perhaps the company we paid to enjoy such a service should tell us when we may again expect to do just that.

I will not renew my subscription upon its expiration. It's time to give another service a try.

Hi again all,

I've added the following into the first post of this thread regarding the startup crashing issues a lot of you are getting:

• While we're investigating the crashing of 0.7.4, if you have a Spotify username but an account also connected to Facebook, try using your Facebook details to log in rather than your username.
  • Alternatively, as a temporary fix, download the Spotify iOS 4 app from the App Store. It's a bit old school but it'll give you access to your playlists and most of the same features as normal.

Rest assured we're working hard on a fix and we'll post again here when we have any updates.

--------------------------------------------------------------

For common support questions, see support.spotify.com.
To judge my musical taste, check out my last.fm.

Do we have an expected date of release for the update because at the moment I'm considering stopping my premium account since I pay £10 for features I can't even use!

Several days now: please provide a working app.

iPhone 4s, os 6.1.3

Very disappointing you would roll-out a faulty app, when the previous one worked fine.

For non-FB users who are Spotify premium users, your workarounds are embarrassingly unprofessional and risk turning your customers against you.

iphone app crashes:

iPhone 4

iOS 6.1.3

Not sure what version of spotify, it crashes so I have no access to it on iphone (must be latest one).  

I'm with all of the other frustrated users of the iOS crashing app...we understand you're working on a fix but what expectation should we have of a refund during the week+ blackout of our music?  I, like many others, have purchased Spotify Premium to listen to music on my mobile and the fact that I can't do this means that there's no reason for a subscription.

@Adam wrote:

Hi again all,

I've added the following into the first post of this thread regarding the startup crashing issues a lot of you are getting:

Rest assured we're working hard on a fix and we'll post again here when we have any updates.

Are you working on a fix for the iOS5 issue?  Or are you saying that iOS5 is cut off for good?

As it happens I have fixed this by going back to my iTunes and reinstalling the old, fully functioning iOS5 version.  Problem sorted.

Yup, yet again Spotify prove the have the laziest software developers. The latest iOS version crashes almost instantly. They release inconsequential new updates on a regular basis but are really only introducing more bugs. Between this and the OS X versions shortcomings you really have to question their competence. It's their core product and they can barely be bothered to test it. We shouldn't have to **bleep** around with old versions/facebook logins just to access the payed for premium service.

No other product gives me as much trouble.

PS I don't need ridiculous new ways to discover music all the time I just need a player that works well.

The Spotify app crashes on start up. I have iPhone5 and iOS 6.1.4.

Tried installing Spotify for iOS4 but it crashes after a minute or so into a song.

I am a premium user and very upset about this! Please fix this asap.

Suggested posts