Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Account was hacked

Solved!

Account was hacked

1. Recieved an email in Spanish this morning around 8:18 am PST confirming that I had changed my family account to a different email address and all of my devices and family members devices were logged out. Now I am unable to retrieve my account due to not having access to the email that it was changed to. None of my family members speak Spanish nor changed the address.
  2. There was no breach of access on the email registered originally to the spotify account.
  3.  I would like access back to my account, so that my family and I can start listening to music again. Dont get me wrong we all love spotify but it seems like security is very lax.
  4. I am thoroughly confused on the lack of verification process that is used when changing something so crucial to the operation of an account. From my understanding there is no IP confirmation of the device trying change information. No device recognition besides what devices are only using the service.
  5. As a suggestion, from myself and others I assume who will and have suffered from an account hijacking it seems to me that more verification processes should be implemented. I'd rather be slewed with checks & verifications then having to wait a few days until everything is up and running again. 
  6. Rant over, I appreciate the time anyone spends reading this to understand how frustrating this is. Thank you.

Plan

Premium 

Country

USA

Device

Samsung Galaxy 9

Operating System

Android Oreo

My Question or Issue

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @kelheinecke, @user-removed and @csarmi,

Thanks for getting in touch!

If you suspect that another person has taken over your account, be sure to follow the steps on this page.

Should help you out. Let us know if you have further questions.

Have a nice day!

View solution in original post

9 Replies

Hello,

The same thing happened to me except I got the letter in Turkish (I am from Hungary). I found no way to contact the support either because everything requires a Spotify account. I tried the contact form but it asks for my email address and user name. But they didn't get back to me. In fact, I couldn't find a way to write here either except by creating a new account with my other email address.

I have no idea what to do. 

I have a premium subscription, I have the receipt, I have the letter saying my email has been changed. I'm also worried about the credit card details.

Máté

What's even more concerning is that I tried the contact form and it asked for my user name and email address there. And some other information. I gave all that information, and it said they would get back to me on my email address. But it was half a day ago and nothing happened. I am worried that maybe they got back to the hacker instead. Seeing as I received no mail. I tried sending them another request now with this account and now I got answer in an hour, with a ticket number and all which seems to confirm my suspicion. It did seem automated tho.

Update: i replied their automated message that I was sent to the enquiry from this (new) account and explained the situation. They contacted me on the email address that the account was stolen from, asked for details and proofs and sorted it out in an hour.

My account was also hacked too. I got a spanish email sent saying that i have changed my email but i have not. Please help me in getting back my account

Marked as solution

Hey @kelheinecke, @user-removed and @csarmi,

Thanks for getting in touch!

If you suspect that another person has taken over your account, be sure to follow the steps on this page.

Should help you out. Let us know if you have further questions.

Have a nice day!

Those steps worked for me only after I registered this new account and contacted them from it. The steps assume that you can login to your account.

Hey there @csarmi,

Thanks for getting back in touch with these details and feedback.

Glad to hear that everything is sorted for you now 🙂

On another note, if you're having troubles reaching out to us, we'd suggest following the steps in the "Didn't subscribe or don't have an account?" section of this support site article instead. This way, you'll have the chance to enter the email address you'd like us to contact you on. You can also add your old one in the description so our support team knows which account you need help with. 

Have a lovely day!

KaterinaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself! 

This just happened to my wife as well. How are passwords changed on the account without going via the email. Is there a 3rd party app linked that has access to change passwords or is someone managing to intercept the email before it hits the user account? I mean, even if you know the password to the account, it doesn’t seem you can edit the password without first receiving a link in your email inbox. Or has someone gained access to api keys/secrets to be able to update users passwords directly. 

Hey there @Community-user2,

Thanks for writing about this to us! 

We can't tell you how this has happened exactly but we do have a list of tips you can use to keep your account secure. 

We hope this helps 🙂

PetyaModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

Suggested posts