Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Using Gift Card for Student Premium

Solved!

Using Gift Card for Student Premium

I have a gift card to use and see that there is a $5 Premium option for college students. Unfortunately, I cannot use the gift card to get that subscription. Does anyone know of a way to do this

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Unfortunately, Student discount is only valid on recurring monthly subscriptions from a credit or debit card and can't be used when redeeming gift cards.

It is stated in the gift/e Card terms that cards are redeemable for services not their cash value.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

View solution in original post

12 Replies
Marked as solution

Unfortunately, Student discount is only valid on recurring monthly subscriptions from a credit or debit card and can't be used when redeeming gift cards.

It is stated in the gift/e Card terms that cards are redeemable for services not their cash value.

Peter

That's pretty lame that if you have a $10 gift card, they give you one month free premium at the $9.99 rate instead of the $4.99. Lesson learned, no Spotify gift cards in the future.

oops i guess i just lost my 4.99 value too on one $10 gift card. thats sad

I am switching to Google music unless resolved. 

It won't be resolved, those are the terms you agree to when you buy a card.

If you want to take it up with Spotify, then drop them an email here:
https://www.spotify.com/about-us/contact/contact-spotify-support/

Peter

Shortsighted approach. Spotify should be doing all they can to keep the cash flowing from any/all sources. I'd be signing up a new student or two with gift cards if not for this unfair restriction. As it is, Spotify loses out on an opportunity to add what would likely be a couple new customers for life and I have to find something else to put in those stockings. 😞

I just found out the hard way that I cannot use the $240.00 in gift cards i just purchased from Amazon.com as Christmas gifts for my son's student accounts. No where on Amazon did it state that Spotify gift cards cannot be used on student accounts. Also, per Amazon's return policy, they will not accept returns on any gift cards. So I have wasted $240.00 on a service that cannot use them. What a ripoff!!!

Hello: Sorry for your issues and trouble you might try CS here at this url https://www.spotify.com/about-us/contact/contact-spotify-support/?contact and fill out the contact form. If you get an automated response directing you back to the community boards reply back to that email, even if it is from a noreply and a customer support rep will get with you shortly. Maybe they might be able to do something for you?

I had the same problem. You can still use the gift cards if you've already purchased them, you'll just be charged $10 per month instead of the student rate. They automatically downgraded my account when I put in the gift code.

So...while I wouldn't purchase a gift card for your student in the first place, if you already purchased it then you can still use it (though you may want to sell it off instead)

Same!

I can't use my debit card to pay for premium. its really annoying. I don't know if it matters whether I have it only valid in the US, but whenever i try to pay, it says 

• Payment failed. Try again, or use a different payment method. Get help Someone please help me. 

Suggested posts