Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[PSA] Samsung users please read!

Solved!

[PSA] Samsung users please read!

Summary:

If you are using a Samsung device which has been updated (or running) Android 6.x Marshmallow it appears that they have introduced an agressive power saving option which is closing Spotify or stopping it accessing data when the application is sent to the background or the screen display turned off. The following are common symptoms caused by this:

Symptoms:

• Next song in an album/playlist is not played
  • Lock Screen control vanishing
  • Spotify notification disappears
  • Tracks marked for offline listening fail to download
  • Notifications for new followers, albums etc have not been coming up

Resolution:

If you are using a Samsung device and experiencing any of these symptoms please disable the Power Saver settings as follows: 

Settings > Battery > Power Saving Mode> In the Power Saving Mode settings disable the "Restrict background data" setting

Kudos to @Cerda45 for the tip here

If it's still not working after doing the above then disable Power Saving Mode entirely:

Settings > Battery > Power Saving Mode

Settings > Battery > Detail > Spotify >Turned off

Further Info:

I believe Samsung are aware of the issues this is causing - not only to Spotify - and we can hope they improve the power saving feature in the next software update which is hinted at being sometime around June.

Still having the issue? This could be the Android 'Doze' feature taking effect. Read the section "Tracks stop playing when screen turned off or the Spotify application is in the background" in the [COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

In addition to the powersaving tweaks suggested, I recommend also excluding spotify from android's optimisation as follows:

1. Open the Settings app on your phone (Pull down the notifications shade, and tap the gear in the upper right corner, or find “Settings” in the App Drawer.)
2. Tap Device Maintenance then Battery.
3. Tap Unmonitored Apps
4. Tap the dropdown menu at the top of the screen and select “Add apps.”
5. Scroll down to Spotify - select it

6. Tap Done

Thanks for posting this @Daniel

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Done all this, and  it is still shutting off after two songs.. The strange thing is  though it only does it while i am in radio, but if I am listening to my play list it's fine.  Also  the volume still goes up and down on it's own..

Marked as solution

Necesito ayuda ! Hice el pago de la suscripción Premium .. tengo una semana apenas Y me bajo a la suscripción gratis.. donde me puedo poner en contacto con spotify . Tengo el recibo de pago.. ayuda por favor mi celular es un Samsung j7

Marked as solution

thanks this solved my issue.. but found this under info button for application battery saving (App strømsparing). and im running on android 6.0.1

89 Replies

Is this for phone only or does it fix problems relating to casting from tablet to Chromecast? The logo is the only thing on screen, no cover art of some sort.  I am using the Samsung Galaxy tab A, with Android 5.0.2. I have no power save mode on either. I tweeted the spotifyCares on Twitter and just wondering if this is a response, as there are quite many with the same issue as far as I've understood it.

Hi @chandersen,

The chromecast issue is a separate one to that which this topic is related and affects users with other manufacturers of devices also.

That issue is known and a fix is being worked on.

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

I figured as much, just wanted to check to be sure. Cheers!

Thanks for this. I've been pretty livid and being a **bleep** since clearing my cache or signing out didn't help. Even re installing did nothing. This seems to help.

I have the problem of tracks marked for offline listening fail to download, and i tried with the battery things but it doesn't work, and time ago like a month they told me that they were going to fix it but i had no answer about it

I'm having this problem on my Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge, but I have the battery saving mode turned completely off. Any other suggestions or FIXES?

Yeah, switching the battery mode for Spotify to off still doesn't give me back the full album art cover in the lock screen...

Ik looks like this on my S5...

Screenshot_2016-05-20-23-54-26.png

I can expand it, but that's still nothing compared to before with the slightly zoomed album art work

I hope Samsung fixes this for all users...

Awesome thanks!!!

Hi

I joined this community because recently my spotify has been cutting out on my phone but unfortunately this hasn't fixed the problem. Any other suggestions?

None of these suggestions help. All I want to do is UNSUBSCRIBE so I don't have to cut up my credit card to avoid paying for service I'm not getting!!!

Nothing suggested is working for me as well. 
I've tried:

- Turned off Power Saving Mode completely

- Uninstalling then reinstalling the App

- Rebooting the device while clearing the system cache

- Nothing seems to work.

very frustrated.

Using a Samsung Galaxy S7 and power saving option, and currently not facing this problem. Everything is a-okay 🙂
Best,
Denise

Fantastic post! Thanks so much this was driving me nuts while commuting to work! I need my tunes!!!

I too am having this problem as well on my S6 Active, and like you i have my power saving  mode turned off.. I have also noticed that my volume keeps going up and down  on it's own in the middle of songs with out touching the volume button on my phone, this even happens with it plugged into my car AUX port. and this all started since the last spotify update. and I'm a  premium user to boot  

Im not having that issue but my spotify no longer recognizes my yamaha receiver. is this issue related?

THAT'S WHY?! ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! SO I HAVE TO CHOOSE BETWEEN BATTERY LIFE OR LISTENING TO MUSIC? Come oooooon...

I am still having issues on my S7 edge. I don't use power saving at all and it's turned off. My music will cut out and pick back up randomly, if I try to open Spotify is just errors out and freezes my whole phone. I have to reboot or just wait up to 5 minutes to be able to wake my screen up. Then if I get it back, the widget will not show music is playing, nor will it on my lock screen. This is a problem because A. If the widget isn't reading that it's playing, I notice my car also can't read it. So I can't change tracks from my cars audio system like normal. B. If I attempt to fully open the app to do anything, I run a 65% chance my phone will freeze up. It will say error but just keep spinning (pic attached)

I was having this issue on my first s7 edge, then replaced the phone insurance purposes and still having the same problems.
Screenshot_20160703-091229.png

How do you know if tracks have downloaded? The arrow next to my playlist songs are white. I thought I read they should be green. How do you get them to download on Samsung Edge?  Please help!

Suggested posts