Spotify is auto shuffling through alexa app

Jinteki
Casual Listener

Plan

Premium

Device

Galaxy s8

My Question or Issue

I have an echo dot and very recently Spotify has started to turn on auto shuffle every time I ask to play an artist's music. I have tried turning it off through the app and via voice commands, but every time I do so it is turned back on as soon as I ask the echo dot to play another artist. Spotify version is 8.4.66.733 armv7

71 Replies

aleben
Music Fan

So Any news?
Do we really just need to switch to a different music supplier ?
I was testing few hours ago again and it's so frustrating to ask to play an author and getting back random tracks, 99% of time not popular or even known...

BorgUK1of9
Regular

On Amazon music now for a trial for for 3 months for free.

You can tell Alexa to play the top ten of your chosen artist, it doesnt shuffle on Amazon music however if you just ask it to play songs from an artist it will shuffle the same as Spotify, if you tell it to play the greatest hits on Amazon it does but shuffles not from top down. I have been told you can stop the shuffling I just need to find out how or if you can do this.

So far the music is about the same for quality and content however I think the algorithms are better on spotify for suggested playlists. The problem is even with a family Spotify account its mine on the Echos and the kids mess up the algorithms due to their selections. It would be nice to be able to have each of their echos with their own Spotify accounts on them. Overall I think the problem is with Amazon, its control system still needs improving considering how long the Gen 1 echo came out.

davidlbatey
Casual Listener

It should default to playing the popular songs when you choose an artist and then shuffle if you request it. The very least they should add an alexa command

"Play popular songs by Oasis"

Right now, it's a disaster and the latest changes have made it even worse. It used to start with the popular song and then shuffle so you could catch it before it started shuffling. Now you can't even do that. It starts in a random location/song so there's no way that I know of to listen to the popular songs.

faffa

Let's try to make this clear, I have this Alexa thing and also a premium account. If I try to listen to a Pink Floyd album (and I love them, so it happens very often) it makes me listen to shuffled songs, which is not just boring, but also useless in the specific case. Now, is it faster for me to return my Amazon Echo environment or unsubscribe from Spotify premium? 

Acromano626

This is a terrible user experience and a stupid setting. Not sure why anyone would enable this in the first place and call it a feature. Spotify, you’re already on my list of things to get rid of. But for a lack of time, I’d have moved to a different platform. This is going to expedite finding a better option. Revert back.

Oh, and I joined the community just to post this. Moderator, stop replying by calling this is a feature and fix it. 

dnw78
Regular

So pleased to find this post!

Spotify this has RUINED the Alexa/Spotify experience please reverse it immediately.

I used to be able to say "Play songs by X..." and get the top songs by that artist as they show in the Spotify app. Now after one song I recognise I get a load of random songs from the B side or album fillers of the artist. 

I will cancel my Spotfy Premium subscription and move to Amazon if not reversed quickly.

dnw78
Regular

Well, I’m gone. Amazon Music works brilliantly not only by playing popular tracks by artists but by being able to play genres, find songs by lyrics, year or decade released.. I couldn’t go back now! 

Oh and and as a Prime subscriber (like most of the world) it’s cheaper too. 

Sucsh a shame. Spotify used to be a Product company. 

lsura
Regular

I think I'm going to sign up for an Amazon Music trial today. Spotify's usefulness has faded away. 

tristard

I come from Amazon Music. One Week on spotify and I am going back to Amazon now. Shuffeling Chapters of Audiobooks, how stupid is that?! Chapter 13, Chapter 2, Chapter 21...

Spotify CS: "ah sorry, not enough votes for a change"

Sorry too Spotify, if you need votes to change a that obvious issue. *facepalm*

Peter

Hey folks,

Thanks for your feedback on this, we really appreciate it.

You can check out this similar idea and vote for it, or if you want to be more specific about implementing a shuffle control, you can submit your own idea here.

Hope that helps. Let us know if there's anything else we can help with 🙂

Take care,

P

PeterModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

sammorrowdrums
Casual Listener

This is making me go insane. I can't believe how long this has been the case for...

"I want to listen to this artist, and by the way, could you please play a huge selection of their least popular songs and random live recordings as I dont really enjoy being alive and my time is entirely unimportant..."

Is this a genuine quote from the person you asked before you implemented this feature?

Fix it. 

aleben
Music Fan

Is it even possible we don't get a reply from any Spotify employee?
Is it so little they care about their customers??
Is it so difficult to understand that a regression happened?
Even if they believe there is value in giving the user the possibility to shuffle, why on earth that should be a default??
I basically stopped asking Alexa to play specific artists as I only get the most obscure and useless songs of them...
I think it's time to move to Amazon Music, but I do believe is so silly to not react to such a simple regression...

mdriscoll33
Regular

Exactly.  I read somewhere that if an idea gets 500 votes they talk about it at a meeting.  Other than that tough luck, but thanks for your $$.  

mdriscoll33
Regular

We are not looking for new ideas, just change the setting back so Alexa does not auto shuffle the songs.    I appreciate yo responding, but you really did not address the concern.

dnw78
Regular
Exactly. Just reverse the change, problem solved.

Christos1985
Casual Listener

Iv just had a chat with a agent and he says its broken for android and only works for ios. I can but our chat up if you would like as i know they would deny its broken

Peter

Hey @mdriscoll33.

We understand your frustration at the change, but in order for any change to be implemented, even if it is a feature which once used to be available, you have to submit an idea for it, if one doesn't already exist. We invite you to do so if you feel passionately about this issue.

Best,

P

PeterModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

bady

It is not the feature it is bug! Spotify has changed default behavior.  And it's drives me crazy.

Looks like Spotify is occupied by "creative" managers. Please, please don't break something that works

slamduncdafunk
Casual Listener

Not listening to this type of feedback is going to harm Spotifys company perception. Just wait until theres a viable rival. Then you'll have to stop resting on your laurels. 

Spotify is broken. You ask for songs by an artist, it plays some b-side shite nobody ever heard of. This is not a feature.

Start listening.

stephans
Casual Listener

Same problem here:

Every evening when my kids want to listen to some stories before going to bed I need to log off of the Spotify app, log in with the Spotify account I created for Alexa, disable shuffle and log off and in again to my personal account. 

I have now started my 3 months amazon music trial. 

It is sad to see how a once promising European company loses it’s mojo and once again the money goes to the US. 

What really annoys me are the standard template answers from the moderators. I am

paying 15€ for a perfectly scalable product and the first time I really need something I get this low level service. 

stephans
Casual Listener

Just cancelled my account...

SUGGESTED POSTS