NEXT STEP

Spotify is auto shuffling through alexa app

Spotify is auto shuffling through alexa app

Plan

Premium

Device

Galaxy s8

My Question or Issue

I have an echo dot and very recently Spotify has started to turn on auto shuffle every time I ask to play an artist's music. I have tried turning it off through the app and via voice commands, but every time I do so it is turned back on as soon as I ask the echo dot to play another artist. Spotify version is 8.4.66.733 armv7

72 Replies

Hey @Jinteki.

Right now, when asking Alexa to play an artist, it'll automatically shuffle the content on the artist page. However, when asking to play a specific playlist or album, it'll play it depending on the shuffle setting being on or off.

All the best.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”
― Maria Augusta von Trapp

I am not a fan of this new setting.  Spotify - please reverse this change.  It seems simpler to request that songs be shuffled vs having the feature auto enabled.

I would also strongly request that you reverse this change. I can't understand the rationale behind it. If I request the Alexa app to play an artist, I want to hear the most popular songs, not some random shuffle collection of B-sides and other non hits.

In addition, because Spotify automatically sets to shuffle, when I go to listen to Spotify afterwards on my phone, the shuffle setting is switched on.

This is actually ruining my Spotify home audio experience, so I hope that you can reverse this change in the next update.

Spotify, PLEASE REVERSE this setting. I too do NOT want the artist's songs shuffled when I request them from my echo dot. Please play them in order of popularity. If i want them shuffled I will say it. 

So pleased to find this post!

Spotify this has RUINED the Alexa/Spotify experience please reverse it immediately.

I used to be able to say "Play songs by X..." and get the top songs by that artist as they show in the Spotify app. Now after one song I recognise I get a load of random songs from the B side or album fillers of the artist. 

I will cancel my Spotfy Premium subscription and move to Amazon if not reversed quickly.

Hey folks,

Thanks for your feedback on this, we really appreciate it.

You can check out this similar idea and vote for it, or if you want to be more specific about implementing a shuffle control, you can submit your own idea here.

Hope that helps. Let us know if there's anything else we can help with 🙂

Take care,

P

We are not looking for new ideas, just change the setting back so Alexa does not auto shuffle the songs.    I appreciate yo responding, but you really did not address the concern.

Hey @mdriscoll33.

We understand your frustration at the change, but in order for any change to be implemented, even if it is a feature which once used to be available, you have to submit an idea for it, if one doesn't already exist. We invite you to do so if you feel passionately about this issue.

Best,

P

Exactly. Just reverse the change, problem solved.

I will submit this as a new idea, but please also invstigate how "ideas" work.  If you change something, reversing that change is not a an idea.  

Would be interested to see where the heavily voted on “idea” was to change this functionality in the first place...?

I don't understand why this change can't be reversed. However, if as you say you can't implement a change without raising a new idea, how did this change to auto shuffle ever get implemented in the first place? Your reply sounds like total nonsense to me.

However, in the interests of following your (rather strange) process, I have voted on Mdriscoll33's idea.

Can anyone else reading this thread also vote on it and perhaps it can get some traction?

Located here:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Idea-Submissions/Alexa-Other-Stop-auto-shuffling-songs-when-you-req...

Cheers

Same issue. I literally just created an account to weigh in.

The crux of the problem is that I do not want Spotify to ever turn on shuffle without my say-so. 

@mdriscoll33: The 'idea' that you logged is probably going to be difficult for the QA dept. to parse. Do not assume they have read this thread.

Suggest wording it more like this:

Current Funtionality

On asking Alexa to play a particular artist:

1. The most popular song starts playing
  2. Shuffle mode is turned 'ON'

This means that after the most popular song, random b-sides, remixes and live versions start playing. This is a bad experience.

Requested Functionality

On asking Alexa to play a particular artist:

1. The most popular song starts playing
  2. Keep whatever shuffle settings the user currently has active

That way if I do not want shuffle, I just get the most popular songs in sequence. If I want shuffle, I can ask for it.

This is a terrible user experience and a stupid setting. Not sure why anyone would enable this in the first place and call it a feature. Spotify, you’re already on my list of things to get rid of. But for a lack of time, I’d have moved to a different platform. This is going to expedite finding a better option. Revert back.

Oh, and I joined the community just to post this. Moderator, stop replying by calling this is a feature and fix it. 

Let's try to make this clear, I have this Alexa thing and also a premium account. If I try to listen to a Pink Floyd album (and I love them, so it happens very often) it makes me listen to shuffled songs, which is not just boring, but also useless in the specific case. Now, is it faster for me to return my Amazon Echo environment or unsubscribe from Spotify premium? 

Please, please, please reverse this change. It has truly ruined the Alexa/Spotify experience and makes no sense. I voted for mdriscoll's "new idea." This was a terrible user experience decision.

Iv just had a chat with a agent and he says its broken for android and only works for ios. I can but our chat up if you would like as i know they would deny its broken

The Live Idea posted above now has over 100 votes. Can we get an update? My Spotify usage is a tenth of what it was since this change. Shuffle mode is that frustrating.

Thank you for posting the voting link - created an account voted, and posted here as this is driving me crazy.  I'm working on testing out other music services now..  Hopefully this gets fixed before I move.

Odd they change the behaviour on a whim, yet changing it back is a "feature request".

Suggested posts