Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

My window Spotify app become blanked

Solved!

My window Spotify app become blanked

Plan

Premium

Country

HongKong

Device

Desktop

Operating System

Window10

My Question or Issue

My window Spotify app become blanked which I have posted the image below. I have been downloaded Spotify from here or Window Store but it have the same problem. I have clean/complete deleted the app and redownload it but its the same. Also I've close/open Hardware Acceleration but it still become blank. I also looked for some help but It don't have a solution. I'm now using browser's Spotify but it wouldn't show what song that I'm listening . So I hope I can use back my Spotify app ASAP. Please help me to fix this problem.

image.png

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

This is a bug and here's how to fix it, it only happens on Chinese language version as far I knew..

reinstall the web version Soptify(in other words: not Windows store version)

Go to %appdata% Roaming\Spotify\locales

Change zh-Hant.mo files name into zh-TW.mo

This works for me pretty well, I think this is a lang bug which is already exist about 8 months, but I have no idea how or when will this bug come out , so if there's some developers are watching this topic, just let you guys know.....

and hope this can fix your problem!

View solution in original post

25 Replies

Hey @HKhayden,

Thanks for reaching out to the Community.

Just to confirm, have you tried a clean reinstall of the Spotify app on your device? We recommend the steps in that guide, as they’re very thorough and make sure no damaged leftover files remain. These changes tend to solve issues like the one you're experiencing. Give your device a quick restart as well before you open the newly installed app. 

If the issue persists, you should also check your host file for Spotify entries and remove any you may find. Even though it was written for another topic, this page has instructions on how to do this. 

Hope this is useful. Let us know how you get on.

Mihail Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Please read what I've said clearly.The things that you told me to do I already did 😑

Hi @HKhayden,

Thank you for your swift reply. 

Sorry for the confusion! However, clearing the Hosts file wasn't mentioned in your original post and this is a very important step to take into account.

If you already did it and the issue persists, please start your Windows in safe mode and test the app again.

Also, let us know if this is happening only on your desktop, or if you have tried using a different device. 

Keep us posted.

Maria_BModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“The music is not in the notes, but in the silence in between.” – Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

I'm so sorry for didn't mention that in your original post. I checked my files but it don't have a Spotify file too. Also, this problem It only happen on my desktop Spotify app(either it is download from window 10 store or Spotify web) . I can Spotify use it normally on Web or phone .

Hi there @HKhayden,

Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

Can you confirm how the test went after starting Windows in safe mode? 

Also, please send us a screenshot showing how the desktop app looks after you try to open it. Just attach the image to your next response to us by using the Insert Photos option in the post editor. This way we can take a closer look at the issue.

We'll be on the lookout. 

JulianModerator

Thanks for keep helping me T_T

I just tested starting Windows in safe mode but i dont know why...I can't open spotify (which is download from Win10 Store).After I restarted to be leave safe mode, the spotify have the same issue. Just like the photo I've sent in the first post.Thank you 🙂

Hi @HKhayden,

Thank you for your swift reply!

Could you try these steps to completely clear Spotify's registry?

1. Press the keys WIN + R, in the new window write %appdata% and press ENTER.
  2. Delete all folders named Spotify inside Roaming and Local\Packages.

3. Again, press the keys WIN + R, write regedit and press ENTER.

4. On the new window, paste this text in the search bar Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\ and press ENTER.

5. A route will open, search for any folder named Spotify and delete it. 

6. Restart your PC and perform a clean reinstall one more time.

Let us know how it goes!

Maria_BModerator

“The music is not in the notes, but in the silence in between.” – Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

I did everything that you told me to do. For the first part, I can't find any files. And for the 4-6 steps, I didn't find any files too. I don't know about this program so I posted a photo to fact check. In uninstall,there are no nothing to call spotify. That's the result....😣

image.png

Hey there @HKhayden,

Thank you for your reply and confirmation.

If you're using any VPN, can you turn that off and give it a shot?

We also suggest that you make sure that Spotify is set as an exception in your fire wall.

If that doesn't do the trick, can you try with a different internet connection to see if the issue persist?

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂
Marked as solution

This is a bug and here's how to fix it, it only happens on Chinese language version as far I knew..

reinstall the web version Soptify(in other words: not Windows store version)

Go to %appdata% Roaming\Spotify\locales

Change zh-Hant.mo files name into zh-TW.mo

This works for me pretty well, I think this is a lang bug which is already exist about 8 months, but I have no idea how or when will this bug come out , so if there's some developers are watching this topic, just let you guys know.....

and hope this can fix your problem!

At First, Thanks for all moderator and Users helping me for this issue. I finally fixed it with this solution. I can't believe it just a file name to make my Spotify app become blanked. But I promise I didn't change it. I think it just a bug because it just become blanked in one day. I don't know how it's work but it's the solution.

At last, thank you baxartworkz! You help me so much!

Noone want to fix this sh!t

Hey @sorhiJake,

Thanks for posting here.

Please make sure to follow our Guidelines when posting in the Community and remember to keep a friendly tone.

Could you share with us which troubleshooting steps you've tried so far? That way we'll be able to avoid repeating specific steps.

In case you get an error message, you can send us a screenshot of it. We'll look into this further.

Keep us posted.

Ver Moderator

Hello, I cannot find a way to create a new topic, so I'll just post here.

I'm having the same black screen issue since the latest update.  I have tried everything listed in the replies to this thread, and this https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Windows/Spotify-application-is-completely-black/td-p/514913...

and this https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Windows/Spotify-Win-10-Black-Screen/td-p/5149232

So I've tried the clean reinstall, deleting all spotify files, even tried the regedit method but it founf no files.  It works upon a reinstall, however when I shut down the computer and try again the next day it is the same problem, just a black screen.  I'm on windows 10.  I've tried installing again from the spotify site (the version I always used to use), and also tried installing from the windows app store, which worked for only a day.  I've basically tried every "solution" presented in these threads, but to no avail.  I'm in the UK and using an english language version.  Even the web player has issues - it will load up but it won't play any songs on my "liked songs" playlist which I use all the time.  Other playlists seem to be working fine there.  Oh, and when I close the spotify app and try to reopen, it says "The spotify application is not responding" and requires a CTRL, Alt, DEL and closing in the task manager to be able to try to reopen.  It also doesn't like it when you log out, producing the same result (on the rare time it worked after reinstallation).

Please can somebody help?  This really sucks.

Cheers

Hi there @masterjskye,

Thanks for the post.

Sorry to hear you're having such issues with the app and the web player. 

Since this is happening across platforms on your PC, I'd recommend you try clearing any entries "Spotify" from your Hosts file. Following this guide

In case that doesn't do the trick, can you try connecting to another network, like a mobile hotspot WiFi and checking if you encounter the same issues?

Lastly, this is something that can be caused if your music library has over 10,000 items in it, which in generally makes the app a lot slower, so the Desktop app might actually require a few minutes to load up. On some PCs this can take up to 5-10 minutes sometimes. You can try opening the Desktop app and giving it some time to load. 

Keep us posted on how you get on.

AlexModerator

Hi Alex, thanks for the reply.

I have tried to clear the hosts via the method outlined, however when I open the host file as described in notepad as administrator, it just opens a blank page.  There is no text there at all.

Unfortunately, I am unable to try connecting to another network as it is my desktop pc and I am using a wired ethernet connection.  It doesn't have wifi capabilities either.  I can access the app no problem on my phone, even on the same network.  I really prefer/need the desktop version though as I am quite a heavy consumer of music - with a huge library of liked songs and songs I have yet to listen to, and both the mobile and web app lack some features that make sorting through these large quantities of music possible.

My library does have over 10,000 liked songs (probably about 13,000), however I've never had any issues with slowness before.  Also, after a reinstall it instantly opens as it has done in the past, but as mentioned that only lasts until I restart the computer.  My computer is pretty capable and not generally slow.  It definitely seems like some kind of a bug as I've been using spotify for years now and never had a single issue.

Any ideas? 

Hey @masterjskye,

Thank you for keeping in contact and for the info sent.

As the liked songs playlist is indeed over 10000 tracks, it may affect the proper behavior of the app by causing the slowness pattern mentioned previously. However, since the app works well on the mobile app, it could also be device-related.

To investigate this further, it would be great if you could have someone log in with their account on your device - such as a friend or a family member, to see if the issue persists. In case you don't have another one available, you can create a new account with a different email just for testing purposes.

We'll be on the lookout.

OscarDCModerator

Hi OscarDC,

I've done as you suggested - I had to do a reinstall to be able to log in and then used a different account I had from years back.  It has like 30 liked songs at most.  At first I thought it had succeeded, as it somehow worked even after restarting the computer and logging in with my proper account again.  However it was short-lived and later on that night I got the dreaded black screen again, no matter which account is used.  I even reinstalled again the next day and just left the spare account logged in, closed spotify for a while and reopened but it was just the same result, a black screen exactly like the one shown by the OP of this thread.

Pretty annoying, and hopefully something the team can get to the bottom of.  For now I guess I'll just have keep reinstalling spotify every time I want to use it.

Hey @masterjskye

Thanks for your reply. 

In this case, would you mind restarting your PC in Safe mode by following these steps and check if the app works as expected while in Safe mode?

On another note, we suggest that you disable any antivirus or ad-blocking software, and turn off VPN if in use.

Keep us posted on how it goes. 

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Suggested posts