Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[iOS] Implement Native HomePod Support

Details

Just this week at WWDC (June 22, 2020), Apple announced support for third party music services on the HomePod.  I'm requesting that Spotify implement native support for the HomePod such that one or even multiple HomePods will appear in the "Connect to a device" menu on any Apple device WITHOUT having to connect through Airplay.  This will also allow users to ask Siri to play songs from Spotify on their HomePod(s). 

Apple is opening up the HomePod, and I know there are many other HomePod users that would love to have native Spotify support on their speaker. 

Resources

Please upvote this idea to garner attention for it.  Thank you Spotify and the Spotify community.  Let's get this implemented so it's ready for general iOS 14 release this September!

Updated on 2021-06-14

Hey everyone,

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

Your suggestion has gathered the votes necessary and your feedback is now reaching the internal teams at Spotify. They're aware of the vote count and popularity of this idea. We'll continue to monitor and check out the comments here, too.

As soon as we have any updates on its status, we'll let you know.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Comments
NickF_

i just opened a new idea for this idea for the attention

tryingtothink

So, Voice Assistants has disappeared from the Settings in my iPhone Spotify App. Which confirms they know all about it even if they say they do not. Speculate away.

chris_tian

I do not get what the HomePod‘s Spotify implementation has to do with monetary subscription fight of Spotify on iOS. Can they not just fight this while implementing it at the same time? How can the HomePod be used as the hostage?

Marrekk

I just renewed the subscription... seems like that continuity which Spotify offer is for me way bigger comfort and will live with steaming from iPhone to HomePod rather then always choosing new playlist depending on which device I use ... 

so what are the steps to bomb Spotify to implement this feature? Should we text to Bloomberg to gain on publicity? 

LouBen3010

Well I'm also having issues with the shitty AirPlay-way of playing music with Spotify.
For a long time now Spotify just ignores the new possibility to implement a tiny little Spotify client for the HomePod.

This ignorance led me to the decision to leave the Spotify community with my whole family..
Although the UI might be better in Spotify the integration with the "native" Apple Music is (of course) way better. You might argue that Spotify has no intention to implement stuff for a competitors hardware, but since Spotify has no own streaming devices this decision just cut off their own paying customers (only some, but hey, that's money though).

tryingtothink
I have mailed \\\\\the \guardian, Stereophile and What HiFi and I forget
what others, might have been Daily Mail or The Sun, and someone else who
writes that he has an interest in the behaviours of big tech, all to a
resounding silence. Do try Bloomberg. One never knows.
taded

461138CB-1351-4FFC-A92B-63321CAC2351.png

5 months free Apple Music via Shazam for anyone wanting to try. 

Elena
Status changed to: Duplicate

Updated on 2021-01-26

Hey @NickF_,

Thanks for bringing your feedback to the Idea Exchange.

A similar idea has already been suggested here - feel free to add your vote to it!

More info on how to search for existing ideas in the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Cheers!

Elena
Status changed to: Case Closed

Updated on 2021-01-26

Hey @Sonnenkind,

Thanks for bringing your feedback to the Idea Exchange.

We’re closing this idea since it doesn’t meet one of our Idea Exchange guidelines, namely point 2: One change request per Idea.

Similar ideas have already been suggested - feel free to add your vote to them below:

Feel free to submit your idea again, making sure that it adheres to the guidelines.

Cheers!

Paddy0316

Switched to Apple Music. Goodbye Spotify.