Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[iOS] Siri Shortcuts Support

PREFACE:

With the release of iOS 12, iPhone users can now utilize Shortcuts to make the most of their daily routines by automating tasks and steps in both native and third party apps. Currently, the extent to which Spotify can be utilized via Shortcuts is to simply Open App.

IDEA:

I wish to see more options and a wider scope of utility of Spotify in Shortcuts to the capacity of playing specific playlists when I leave my home, and adding the current song to a new custom playlist that I can name, or even copying a song link to a tweet. I know the Shortcut app would be capable of handling a workflow along those lines but it seems it would require a bit more generosity from the Spotify app.

MODERATORS:

Please note that this is NOT the same idea requested here considering that post is requesting for "Siri Integration" not "Shortcut Support". In addition, this idea is no longer an announcement as prefaced here and is now a public feature in iOS 12 as of Monday (9/17).

Updated on 2018-12-06

Hey folks, Spotify staff here.

We wanted to post an update as this idea has reached over 500 votes from our users.

We’re always working on improving the Spotify experience across platforms, but we’re afraid we don’t have any further information to share at the moment.

We typically don't announce integrations with third parties in advance. The best place to keep an eye on is our blog for news updates about any such partnerships.

Thanks for continuing to share your ideas and give us feedback in our Idea Exchange.

Comments
fozzyy

It’s really aggravating that Spotify does not support iOS features that will clearly benefit Spotify customers. If you’re not going to fully support iOS and make a great app, then get off the platform. 
It’s stuff like this that makes me want to leave Spotify. 

Eglerion

I liked Spotify much more than Apple Music. Stuff like this being ignored, even though it has thousands of votes and a ton of related topics and questions on Reddit & co. really makes me think about a switch though. 😞

Especially now with the apple one bundle...

mike4902
I hear you. Still on spotify but when the right plan cones about I would jump. Just hate to set up music again
aacheong

Hello still waiting for this particular addition to spotify. I would very much like to include spotify into my morning routine. I still can't do it with how spotify is. And if I'm using two different music apps in order to fit my day the way I want it to, it might be better to stay with just the one that I am able to integrate well with shortcuts. Please follow up and include this on the next release. Thank you.

Kingjason002

I’ve always been a huge advocate of Spotify premium and my entire family has subscriptions, but not supporting the Shortcuts app is a massive flaw. This feature is offered by other, less costly streaming services and Spotify competitors such as YouTube Music and Apple Music. I’m at the point where I’m considering switching to Apple Music. Apple Music is the most attractive because it’s not as expensive and not only does it support the Shortcuts app, but it also allows uploading of personal music to the cloud as to not take up local storage on my phone. Supporting the Shortcuts app should be Spotify’s top priority, but it doesn’t seem like Spotify is aware what consumers want. 

StellarLegacy

I’m considering moving my family over to Apple Music. Shortcuts are too powerful to not be able to make use of and can’t afford two subscriptions...

I’m surprised there isn’t at least basic shortcut support.

_p7r-syd6ll1i

Hey Guys - I figured out why Spotify won't support Siri Shortcuts!  They're a terrible company who hates their customers.

Actually the real reason is they are deathly scared of trying to compete with Apple, and as a result they don't want to "donate shortcuts" to iOS/Siri, *potentially* revealing their true asset to Apple: Spotify usage data.  Never forget: you may think you are buying a product from Spotify, but in fact you are the product for the RIAA!

Myself, I will be moving me and my family to Youtube Premium.  It's really the best value in music subscriptions -- have you tried Youtube with no ads?!  I didn't know what I was missing!  And Youtube Music supports Siri Shortcuts.

So long and thanks for the all the fish, Spotify!

jasonwsaz

This single reason will likely be why I switch to Apple Music.  Please add this feature and it would make automation with Spotify a viable alternatve to switching to apple music.

Mr_Kew

I have been trying out apple music for some time and this is literally the only thing that Spotify really lacks and that made me really think about the switch. It is way more convenient to just say the thinks you wanna play in the car. There was somewhat support for shortcuts in iOS 13, but it was not working. Now in iOS 14 it disappeared completely.

I think this idea deserves way more attention than it does.

MyriaLestrange

Is there any update on this? The feature has over 2k votes as of now, 4 times the votes it had at the time of the last update which was two years ago!!!

Come on guys...