Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

AirPods Pro Automatic Switching conflict with Spotify Connect

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

iPhone Xs, iPad Pro (2019), and AirPods Pro

Operating System

iOS 14 and iPadOS 14

My Question or Issue

With iOS 14, Apple released automatic source switching between different apple devices depending on which source emits audio. If I have spotify open on both devices, and try and play music on either one, spotify connect and the switching goes into a loop where the AirPods Pro bounce between devices. I can pause, but that doesn’t help. I have to quit spotify on one of the devices to fix it.

Hey folks,

Thank you for your patience and for keeping in contact.

Based on the reports and feedback we see along with tests we run on our end, this seems to be something on Apple's end and how the AirPods handle audio playback requests to Spotify automatically upon connection.

To prevent this to happen, you can use the troubleshooting steps mentioned by @rdegroot_1995 here.

If anything else comes up, keep in mind that the Community will be here for you.

Comments
Mihail

Hey @elito25,

Thanks for reaching out to us. Apologies for the delayed response, we just came across this thread.

We're currently investigating reports of a similar issue reported by users with tvOS14. Could you share if your AirPods are connected  to multiple devices via AirPlay, similar to the way users describe in this thread? 

We'd also appreciate a recording of what you experience at your end. You can use the Insert Video option in the Post Editor, just make sure to hide any private info. 

We'd love to investigate this further! We'll be on the lookout for your reply.

Gear_head246
I am having the exact same problem and it is very disappointing
mehran_1380

So basically, my Airpods switch between Mac and iPhone in the middle of the song! And after that, I cannot listen to Spotify on my Mac. Whenever I hit play, it switches bad to iPhone automatically. But, if I kill the Spotify app on iPhone, everything will continue to work just well.

Novy

Hey there @mehran_1380

Thanks for reaching out about this in the Community, and welcome!

Would you mind letting us know if you've already tried reconnecting the AirPods?

Also, send us your device's model, exact OS version and Spotify version so we can take a better look.

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

mehran_1380

Hi @Novy,

Yes, I tried. I also have the problem with both AirPods2 and AirPods Pro. It seems like the iOS thinks Spotify wants to play on the iPhone (as it shows the music progress for the Mac) and switch the AirPods.

macOS: Big Sur 11.1

Spotify Version: 1.1.51.380.ga06fdc8d

iOS Version: 14.3

Novy

Hi @mehran_1380

Thanks for getting back to us and sending this info. 

Could you let us know if you notice any difference when you turn the automatic switching off?

Keep us posted. We'll be right here.

mehran_1380
It works without problem when the automatic switching is off.
Ivan

Hey @mehran_1380

Thanks for keeping us in the loop. 

It's great news that turning off the automatic switching solved this issue. 

Give us a shout if you experience this again - we're always here to help.

Еnjoy your music! 

Jefhee

Device and Operating System

iPhone 14.3 and Mac OS 11.1

My Question or Issue

With the introduction of automatic AirPods switching between your Mac and iPhone some problems are introduced when using (not that we have a choice) Spotify Connect.

When listening on my Mac, Spotify Connect automatically starts showing the Now Playing Platter on my iPhone, tricking the device in thinking it's playing music resulting in my AirPods connect over to my iPhone constantly mid song.

It's making the experience so terrible, I had to delete Spotify from my iPhone in order to listen music on my Mac using AirPods. Since there is no way of disabling Spotify Connect. The service is so aggressive it keeps connecting, even with Spotify entirely closed on my iPhone.

Are there any solution patches scheduled for this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Mihail

Hey @Jefhee,

Thanks for reaching out to the Community with this one.

Could you let us know if the issue persists after performing a clean reinstall on your Mac and iPhone? This removes any damaged app files that might be causing such Connectivity issues. It's a good idea to also fully unpair your AirPods before trying anew.

Keep in mind that you can set the app at any time in offline mode to prevent it from connecting. You can find instructions on how to do this in the second section of this article.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on how it goes.