Volume Normalization on the Roku App

Plan

Premium - Family

Country

USA

Device

TCL Roku TV 

My Question or Issue

It does not appear that the Spotify App for Roku implements the volume normalization feature available on the phone and desktop versions of the app: i.e., there is a sometimes drastic variation between the volume on some tracks and that on others such that changing from one track to another occasionally has me diving for the remote to save my speakers or to prevent my music from disturbing the whole house.  Is it true the Rokup app lacks this feature or am I simply missing where to toggle it on?

5 Replies

This issue still occurs. My Roku and Spotify are both on latest build. Is there a solution for this? My current half solution is adjusting the volume settings on my TV every time I want to use the app on my TV.. very inconvenient! I have to revert the settings after just to have normal audio on other apps/TV.

Hey @user-removed and @Vinminen,

Thanks for reaching out! We'll happily help you sort this one out.

If the Normalize volume feature isn't working, try turning it off and on again. It's a good idea to also change the Volume level setting, to see if that has an effect. 

If none of these steps work, go ahead and perform a clean reinstall of the app on your Roku receiver. Make sure to also turn it and your TV off completely and unplug them for a couple of seconds. This step is often underestimated, but very effective.

Hope you find this useful. Let us know how you get on.

Mihail Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hello @Mihail,

Thank you for your reply on this thread.

Unfortunately, after doing all of the suggested steps, the Roku's Spotify app continues to have issues normalizing the volume.

I'm not sure if this will help, but here are the two ways that I listen to Spotify on my TV:

1. First, I launch the Spotify app on my phone, then I connect to my Roku using the "Connect to a device" feature to cast the music. The mobile interface is easier/quicker to use.

* Switching the "Normalize volume" option from the phone settings (since it does not appear to be available within the Roku's Spotify App as @Vinminen mentioned) is only possible during the one second while my phone is switching from a cellular to a WiFi internet connection. Once my phone connects to the WiFi, the switch is grayed out  and left on which ever it toggled to. If I leave the Roku Spotify App and launch to the Roku home screen, the Spotify app from my phone allows me switch the "Normalize volume" option immediately. Regardless, the option does not seem to make any difference when the music is playing from the TV.

2. Launch the Spotify app directly from the Roku manually.

Both of these methods result in the same volume issue, where the volume randomly fluctuates. I do not experience this issue with any of the other Roku apps or other devices (xbox, playstation, laptop, etc.) I connect to my TV.

Some additional information about my set up:

Roku Model: 4670X - Roku Ultra

TV Brand: Sceptre
TV Model: U550CV-U

As always, any help is greatly appreciated!

Hey @user-removed,

Thanks for reaching out to us and describing the situation so well.

We're sorry for the confusion, but the Normalize Volume feature is currently only available for the app on mobile and desktop devices. You won't be able to activate it from your phone, because the way Connect works is that it functions as a remote for the Roku app. This means that the features for mobile don't get transferred, but instead the capabilities of the Roku app are used.

If you'd like to see this functionality extended onto other devices, we recommend that you also post an idea in our Ideas Exchange. You can learn how to do this here. The Idea Exchange is a great way for us to see what our users are interested in and how many people like a certain idea. You can read more about it here.

Hope you find this useful. Keep us posted if you have any questions.

Mihail Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I'm not sure if this is duplicate or related, but for me, the Spotify app for Roku plays all songs much too loud, not just unnormalized songs: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Idea-Submissions/Roku-Other-Roku-app-volume-is-much-higher-than-oth...

Suggested posts