Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Why does Spotify keep resetting my password?

Why does Spotify keep resetting my password?

Plan

Free

Country

Germany

In my currenty job most of the internet sites are blocked and just a few sites are whitelisted. One of them is spotify, which I use to listen to music and podcasts. But like every 1 or 2 weeks Spotify keeps resetting my password, even while I am listening to something. I suddenly get logged off and cannot log in, because my password is told to be incorrect. It is really annoying and unnecessary. At this point I cannot even reset my password, because my personal email websites are blocked and I am not allowed to have my phone in the office.
I know the default answer is "it is necessary, suspicious behaviour, everything for your security...) but it does more damage and is more annoying than helpful. Even when I want to reset my password I cannot use the ones I used before, which makes it even worse.

I don't know what kind of connection the company uses that makes it that suspicious, but I have a free account and don't really appreciate this kind of behaviour. I wished this would stop, I have my account since 2010 and never had any complaint until recently

Is there a way to avoid that?

18 Replies

Hey there @gasperoni66,

Thanks for reaching out to the Community and welcome!

In this case, we suggest reaching out to our Support team through any of these channels so they can take a look at your account and further assist you with this.

If you have any questions or need anything else, the Community is here for you.

Cheers.

CarlosEModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

Hi. I happen to have the same problem. I have paid for a Family account. Everyone listens to each other's music over wifi at home. An email comes regularly every 7 days asking me to change my password. When I asked why this is happening and eventually they disable my main account. They reply - we can't tell you what terms have been broken due to security reasons. wth is Spotify up to! I have another account today and if it is deactivated and money is not refunded it will end

Hey @Matejko666!

Thanks for posting on the Community about this.

It's true that our support teams cannot give the exact reason for why this is happening, but there are a few things that usually cause similar issues. Some of them include:

• using a private restricted network or a VPN on regular bases;
  • a few users logging in on the same account - you mention you have a family, so we'd recommend checking with everyone in the plan that they're logged in on their own accounts to avoid any issues
  • some 3rd party apps that are connect to your Spotify account - you can check those here and remove the ones you're 100% certain you need
  • using the same password on multiple sites and services

You can also check out this page to see how to secure your account if you already haven't followed all the steps.

Hope this info helps!

ElenaModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Good morning.
Unfortunately, I cannot find your help helpful.
I created another account, paid for premium. A week passed and the account was closed again without any reason, and the money was not returned.
I paid for a week of music? Now I have to create another account and pay again? Are you making fun of people? Without any reason or message? At least send an email that the account has been deactivated so that I know it is not stolen. Ehh spotify

Hey there @Matejko666,

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community.

We've already replied to your post in this thread. 

For anything else you need, the Community is here for you.

Cheers 🙂

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Any update on this ongoing issue?  Spotify keeps resetting my password every few weeks, it's ridiculous.  None of the above replies are helpful.  The absolute worst part is not allowing a previous password....I am a long-time family plan user with nothing odd going on.  Password is super strong...auto-generated.

If this is the way it's going to be going forward I would just prefer to change over to Apple.

Why does Spotify keep throwing me off and changing my password.  There are several people in the household with separate accoutns.   UGH UGH UGH.  

This is extremely frustrating!!! I have had to change i 6 times now once a week.  CAN SOMEONE PLEASE FIX THIS...What suspecious activity are you talking about?????   We are listening to music for petes sake UGH UGH UGH

was this resolved.  I am also having the same problem.. So frustrating.  Makes me want to change to a different provider

Hey @FernLiz,

Thanks for your reply in this thread.

We understand where you're coming from, but it's always a good idea to secure your account in these cases to make sure everything is in order. You can find out more on how to secure your account here.

We recommend you log out everywhere from your account page and run a clean reinstall of the app on all your devices; this involves deleting the cache files of the app and will force an account-wide resynchronization of your info. You can have a look at this guide for the steps relevant to each device.

Lastly, we'd also suggest checking for anything suspicious on your Account Overview page and removing all apps connected to your account. You can easily reconnect the apps that you use whenever you want. If you notice anything suspicious you can remove it with the REMOVE ACCESS button.

We'll be on the look out!

AlejaRModerator

There's no way to stops Spotify on its crazy resetting password constantly. I have a 2 steps security and nothing is changed. No 3d part app, I use Spotify always on the same devices. Why? Stop resetting password now!

Hey @lordadb,

Thanks for reaching out.

Are you by any chance using a VPN or an incognito window to access the service on any of your devices?

Keep us posted.

MihailYModerator
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Please stop this crazy security shanigan, things used to work perfectly, I use a vpn since more than ten years now, YOU have changed something, not us, revert that nonsense, there is no security issue, I use strong passwords everywhere, so please stop. I have zero issue with deezer and if that nonsense continue I will end my subscription to Spotify!!

Hi MihailY, as I see I'm not the only one with this crazy situation. Wouldn't it be easier for all to change the way you do things? Imagine how simple would it be for us (and for you) to be able to answer "yes" to a "was is you?" question! How more secure is that? Do your machines believe there´s something suspicious? Allow us to answer.
I have the same problem as "Gasperoni66" which was written at the beginning of the thread. My job requires high-security connections, I use a new "virtual computer" each time I log on with a different IP, the servers are located in Germany and I live and work in Barcelona. That´s the reason why your iA believes it is suspicious. I'm absolutely fed up resetting my password every 4 days, I did try to have help through chat, but they didn't give me solutions. So I'm stopping using Spotify most of the time.

The big question is, why other big companies like Google, Amazon, Apple or even banks are able to do it without annoying their clients but giving them safety, why can't SPOTIFY?

I subscribed to Spotify Premium today, transitioning from a free account, and created a new password.  After listening to an album for awhile, I logged off and shut down my computer.  When I attempted to log on this evening, Spotify declared the new password invalid and wanted a new one.  I do not have time to create a new password every time I log into a service.  I might even wish to log on and off a few times a day.  If this is how Spotify operates, as the above posts suggest, this service will not be worth my time and money.  Please help me find an effective solution to this problem.

This is getting out of hand. Even with Spotify premium.

I have been having to reset my password multiple times every week.

I have to use VPN for my work. The security reason that Spotify support keeps providing is obviously not true, so please stop using that as a blanket statement.
Now either I stop using VPN and not do any work
or stop using Spotify and move to Youtube music with better integration.

This happens to me also.  I get emails about suspicious activity.  My password is very complex and long now that I have reset it multiple times.  I have 8 logins and it is very time consuming to re-log into each of them.

1. App on Desktop PC
  2. Chrome on Desktop PC
  3. Edge on Desktop PC
  4. App on Android Phone
  5. App on Laptop
  6. Chrome on laptop
  7. Edge on laptop
  8. XBOX

In addition, when this happens and I go to work, I cannot use spotify offline on my phone all day as there is no internet connection there and spotify on the phone has logged me out over night.

Is there any way to show the suspicious activity and acknowledge it as legit?

STOP RESETTING MY PASSWORD. I have 32 character randomly generated passwords in a password manager and no one except me can access the account and I still have to reset my password every few weeks and I'm pretty sure it's because i use a Vpn and a third party app (Swipefy) to find music on Spotify but even then, which other service resets your password every couple weeks for no apparent reason. Why is your service only getting worse and never better? I might check out Deezer or Apple Music because using Spotify is really just annoying at this point

Suggested posts