Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[iOS] Playback pausing randomly in background

Plan

Free

Country

United Kingdom

Device

iPhone 11 

Operating System

iOS 14.3

My Question or Issue

This problem has been ongoing for a while so I’m not listening to much music anymore because of this.

Basically, whenever I’m trying to listen to the songs in my playlists, Spotify will randomly stop the music, and it will not show in the control centre or on the locked screen. The only way to resume listening it to open the app and press play. However it doesn’t continue where it left off, it will play the song from the beginning, which is really annoying. 

I’ve tried clearing cache, restarting the app, reinstalled the app, restarting my phone, etc. But nothing has seemed to fix this. It happens with my phone only, not on any of my other devices. I’m at a loss on what I can do to fix this, any solution would be appreciated.

Hey everyone,

Thank you for reporting this issue to us.

The right folks have been looking into this continuously and regrettably weren't able to reproduce this behavior. Even for the long duration this issue was open, the total number of reports include a variety of devices and app versions, but have not been as substantial in the grand scheme of things.

This points to a sporadic nature of the issue and makes it difficult to find a direct cause. Based on the data gathered so far, the root cause of such experiences can range from network issues, to other apps taking over audio priority and the OS itself stopping the app when it might try to save battery.

So without being able to identify a specific cause, we'll need to set this to NRN. We recommend excluding Spotify from any battery saving toggles as a first troubleshooting step.

Besides that we'll continue to optimize the app to hopefully reduce the instances of this occurring. We'll also continue monitoring this thread for anything that might help us identify a specific cause and correlation between the cases.

Take care!

Comments
jtooley27

This has been happening to me as well. I have tried all the things people have mentioned. Uninstalling, reinstalling, turning off power saving mode, updating my phone, logging out of my Spotify account, changing my password and probably some more things too. I find this issue incredibly irritating because the pausing seems so random. It does it sometimes and then wont do it for a bit. I pay for the premium version of Spotify and I am getting really frustrated with this issue. Has anyone at all found something that works?

Mihail
Status changed to: Not Right Now

Hey everyone,

Thank you for reporting this issue to us.

The right folks have been looking into this continuously and regrettably weren't able to reproduce this behavior. Even for the long duration this issue was open, the total number of reports include a variety of devices and app versions, but have not been as substantial in the grand scheme of things.

This points to a sporadic nature of the issue and makes it difficult to find a direct cause. Based on the data gathered so far, the root cause of such experiences can range from network issues, to other apps taking over audio priority and the OS itself stopping the app when it might try to save battery.

So without being able to identify a specific cause, we'll need to set this to NRN. We recommend excluding Spotify from any battery saving toggles as a first troubleshooting step.

Besides that we'll continue to optimize the app to hopefully reduce the instances of this occurring. We'll also continue monitoring this thread for anything that might help us identify a specific cause and correlation between the cases.

Take care!

socceroofan

Hi, I seem to be having the same/similar problem on my iPhone XR. Mine pauses on songs and won't play again. BUT! This seems to happen only on songs i've downloaded (for offline listening). This happens when playing through Bluetooth or on the phone itself. If i'm Chromecasting to my home soundbar or playing through anything else it works fine. Other songs don't have an issue, just the songs i've had downloaded. If there was a way to 'un' download songs my issue would go away. Is there anything I can do? I have tried uninstalling app, logging out of all devices, restart my phone. Plus I don't want to lose my playlist!