Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify won't sync songs to offline mode

Solved!

Spotify won't sync songs to offline mode

Hi! I'm using Spotify 0.7.4.35, on my iPhone 4s iOS 6.1.3. In online mode Spotify works ok, but I can't download playlists to offline mode. I switch on "available offline" on a playlist, but the songs won't sync (sometimes the first song gets marked with an orange exclamation mark and that's it). I use Spotify on 4 platforms, but not at once, and I just have offline playlist on two of them (one now that it doesn't work on my iPhone). This is very annoying since I usually use Spotify when I have no internet connection. Anyone having the same problems? Thankful for help.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

How much free storage space do you have on your device? 

Spotify won't start synching normally unless you have 500MB-1GB of free space. 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Wifi - but I figured it out - although not clear in the instructions -

From the Playlist screen, click Edit then click the circled arrow on the right of the playlist you want to download.  Then they started syncing.  Thanks for the follow up though.

Marked as solution

I spent hours and hours figuring this out and reading other answers. Disabling the firewall also did it for me.

Marked as solution

It's a tagging issue Spotify doesn't recognize the tag on your computer mark for download on your computer then tell your device to download the ones that have bad tags will take forever to download as Spotify is trying to resolve the tag issue when they finally do download the tag won't match up but you can add it to your music. After you have it saved with the Spotify tag you will have 2 copies one with the bad tag that won't play and one with a good tag. Delet the one with the bad tag and use the one with the good. Your computer will maintain the one with the bad tag so if you remove the song from your device that you will have to go through this process again.

Marked as solution

You can tell which one has the bad tag because after the point you have one with a resolved tag that shows the green check mark and one that either shows downloading (because the tags are different it thinks it's a new song) that will either show the ready for download arrow or the plus sign is grayed out

Marked as solution

mine says "offline access for this computer has been withdrawn" but when I go to "offline devices" in my account it says I don't have any...frustrating.

Marked as solution

Solved it now. I had the Spotify app runing on my Mac and it had crashed. Once I restarted the desktop app Spotify on my iPhone started working properly.

Marked as solution

My spotify is ok now i can listen to all my music again but thank you so much for the response. 👍🏻📻📻📻

Marked as solution

Marked as solution

My offline songs work but the podcasts that I have downloaded don't play in offline mode. I have premium and plenty of space on my phone. How do I fix this?

Marked as solution

It's 3333 song per device not 10,000

Marked as solution

Best to reset your phone.... Check the song are available offline.... Switched off mobile and wifi and see if it works.... Last resort might be delete the whole app and re download everything

Marked as solution

The htc phone is gone and deleted from my offline devices

Marked as solution

My phone won't even recognize the offline tag is switched and when it does it takes forever to download and the stops completely! I have 4gb of storage on my phone and I've deleted and redownloaded the app and I still have issues. How do I actually get ahold of Spotify to fix this issue! I'm about to cancel my premium

Marked as solution

I have approx 1.1GB available and only about 400 songs. Just recently it showed that all needed to be downloaded again for some reason and that none were available offline. These are songs I've been listening to for months offline. Why do they now have to all be downloaded again? I am a premium user on an iPhone 4s.

Tony

Marked as solution

I have about 3.5gb left and my local files are worth 1.8gb yet songs won't transfer to the phone. I can see the songs but can't play it on the phone. They used to play before but by mistake I removed download button and when I again try it, songs won't transfer

Marked as solution

I have been using the premium spotify for months now but recently got a new phone and suddenly none of my songs will play offline. I've spent hours doing all of the things it says on here to try. I've even tried them several times. This is so unbelievably frustrating and I wish I could actually speak to someone who can help me and resolve this. Why pay every month to have no one available to actually speak one on one to?My spotify membership is almost up and honestly spotify if you can not help me fix this issue why the **bleep** would I ever renew my membership?

Marked as solution

Ok after a few weeks of having the issue on my iPhone where my playlist would not show the green downward arrow as a sign that the songs were fully downloaded and also the indicatioun saying waiting to download being present I finally figured out a way to resolve. I tried everything from reinstaling app, deleting playlist, etc etc. Here is what fixed it for me.

I went on my desktop and created a playlist called TEST. I copied all the songs (266) on te other playlist with the issue to the one called TEST. I then completely deleted the original playlist with the issue. I then went to my phone and selected to download the new playlist called TEST which to my surprise only had (263) songs that downloaded. I then renamed that playlist what the other playlist was originally called. It seems that there were three songs that were causing the issue however it would show that all songs were downloaded on the original playlist and none were on green, perhaps these songs were removed by Spotify or something, either way I now have a fully downloaded playlist. I hope this helps someone and saves a lot of headaches as it did for me. 

Marked as solution

Yes re-sync everything. 

Marked as solution

If you want a music streaming service on an ios device where offline mode works, try deezer music. Heard about it from someone after being pissed off with spotify not working, and ive stuck with it ever since. It works, but if youre getting it, dont pay for a subscription through appstore. Apples taxes hike up the price. Rather set up a subscription on their website, but try the free trial first and see.

Marked as solution

Now I finally found what helps!
=> www.deezer.com

Marked as solution

I had a whole bunch of Xmas songs that wouldn't save on my device. I had plenty of room to boot but didn't realize I had chosen the the wrong storage source until it downloaded. 

401 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

How much free storage space do you have on your device? 

Spotify won't start synching normally unless you have 500MB-1GB of free space. 

Peter

Peter

Turned out I only had about 40MB. I deleted a few things on my phone, so that I had about 800MB of free space, and voilà, problem fixed! Thank you very much for the help!
Kristina

I'm having the same problem, but I have about 40g of space on my phone. The gray arrow doesn't go away or change into any other icon, and I don't see that any data is moving.

Did you ever get a response?  I have 5G on my phone but can't get it to sync for offline use

Are you syching over WiFi or mobile network @tbaerfos ?

Peter

Marked as solution

Wifi - but I figured it out - although not clear in the instructions -

From the Playlist screen, click Edit then click the circled arrow on the right of the playlist you want to download.  Then they started syncing.  Thanks for the follow up though.

Glad its working! 🙂

If you need help with anything else you know where to ask! 😉

Peter

Mine won't sync in any way. No files what so ever. Re-installed Spotify, but no syncing what so ever. I'm on the same WIFI for both computer and phone. My iPhone will play songs, so the internet works, but it won't sync anything. I tried everything. I do have enough free space. 

Thank you in advance! 

- Jytte M 

I have the same problem! Been fighting this for over two months now. Playlists that are made available offline do not play at all.

I have the same problem. Tried everything but it doesn't work. 

Follow the steps in this post to see if they help. If your mobile doesn't even show under "devices" in the desktop client, temporarily disable all firewalls, security and antivirus software on your desktop and make sure that UPnP is enabled on your wireless router.

So here is a last resort type of solution that I think might work. Go onto spotify on your computer. Take the playlist that is acting up. Copy all of the songs in the playlist. Create a new playlist. Paste the songs from the original playlist into the new one. onyour ohone, witch the new playlist to be available offline.

This takes a little effort, especially if you have many many many problem playlists but this should work. 

Best of luck

What happens if I have limited space on my device but I purchase more memory from iCloud will that work?

No, since you can't access iCloud storage when you are offline.

Peter

so what are we supposed to do when our files wont sync? i have music from my computer and it wont even let me play it unless i sync the playlist into offline mode. when I try to sync into offline mode nothing happens? HOW AM I SUPSSED TO LISTEN TO MY DOWNLOADED MUSIC! HELP!

Edit, yes I have a premuim accnt, yes i have 1.5 gigs available.

Can you see your device under "Devices" in the desktop client?

Peter

The devices tab is there but no device when plugged in or connected to the same wifi network

That will be why it won't sync, your Spotify clients don't see each other on the network. Try disabling all firewalls on your computer and making sure uPnP is enabled in your router settings. 

Peter

Hi! Thank you for your time as I have had the same problem and as of yet have not found the solution in this thread. I can download it seems like a very specific number of songs, and then every song after that has a red exclamation point by it and won't download. I have 16 GB of free space and I believe at the very most 700-750 songs. Thanks!

Suggested posts