Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

My spotify username is turned into bunch of numbers and letters

Solved!

My spotify username is turned into bunch of numbers and letters

Plan

Free

Country

US

Device

PC

Operating System

Windows 10 pro

My Question or Issue

I registered on Spotify several months ago. I NEVER registered with my facebook and it was NEVER connected to my account. I registered with a proper username "Umbrasi" and it always showed my proper username on website, desktop and mobile apps.
Today I noticed on desktop app that my profile picture is gone and I have bunch of numbers and letters as my username instead. When I opened my account settings in the browser it no longer showed my own username and displayed said numbers and letters for some reason. 
Web PLAYER inside the browser still shows my avatar and proper username but account page In browser and desktop apps don't.. whats the matter wit this? Please revert all these changes and give me back my username that i signed up with.

Once again, don't mention facebook: I never used it with spotify

Screenshot_18.png
etgaagawg.png
rwgw3argarga.png

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Thanks for getting back to us @Umbrasi! We'll gladly explain some more.

Sometimes a temporary error causes the automatically generated username to show up in your app. We'd recommend logging out > restarting your phone > logging back it to sync things back up.

If your display name doesn't appear after a couple of days, we'd recommend clearing your cache with the steps here.

Keep us posted on how it goes and let us know if you have any further questions.

ElenaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Hey there @Umbrasi!

Welcome to the Community and thanks for reaching out.

All new Spotify accounts have an automatically created username that usually is a string of letters and numbers. This allows our users to be able to choose a display name. 

If you only see the auto-generated username, we'd recommend logging out and logging back it, and you can take a look here to see how to set up a display name.

The automatically generated username should show only on your account overview page as an unique indicator for your account.

We hope this info helps. Let us know if you have any other questions.

ElenaModerator

As I mentioned, I registered WITH a custom username and for several months it always displayed Umbrasi on my profile. there was never any alphanumberical username even in the account overview page. Right now my custom username (Umbrasi) still shows up when I go to my profile inside the app. (screenshots attached to original post). And it even shows in the web player top right corner. But inside the desktop app it shows the alphanumerical key. It was never like that, it was always Umbrasi near my avatar (which appeared again after relogging). So... I had issues with avatar and username. Avatar issue is solved but I still don't see my username inside the app. And in mobile app, nor in desktop one there is no way to add a display name for me (no EDIT PROFILE button as shown in the video you linked)
But my main issue with this display name thing is that I don't need to SET one.. i already had Umbrasi. and it shows in my profile, but not in the app upper right corner. If this is some kind of a bug, let me know so I can wait for the fix. But this isn't just me not having any custom username till now and wanting to change it. I want it to act like before - showing my username properly inside the app

tereh - Copy.png
Marked as solution

Thanks for getting back to us @Umbrasi! We'll gladly explain some more.

Sometimes a temporary error causes the automatically generated username to show up in your app. We'd recommend logging out > restarting your phone > logging back it to sync things back up.

If your display name doesn't appear after a couple of days, we'd recommend clearing your cache with the steps here.

Keep us posted on how it goes and let us know if you have any further questions.

ElenaModerator

Hi. Thanks, today the issue got fixed on its own. Yesterday I did bunch of log-out, log-ins but nothing worked, today it seemed to get fixed somehow. Now it shows my username everywhere except the account overview page, but all the apps and players show my custom username. 
Also for changing display name in mobile app - I was having problem accessing that menu since I couldn't see any "edit profile" button when I open my profile in mobile app but today it showed up too 😕 I am not sure how but at least the whole issue is solved now. Thanks for getting back to me with tips.

Suggested posts